Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

People usually write that stop smoking alters the sugar! Why??

17 years ago 0 394 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi I have seen a few posts in here where people say-keep snack handy because quitting alters the sugar! WHY?? what actually happens?? I thought the pancreas produce insulin?? and if so?? Is there any way to help poor old pancreas to become cleaner and active? faster?? Any recommended food or herbs?? Just wondering!! :blush: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,203 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $429.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
WOW!!! Thats all i can say!! THANKS SOOO MUCH i now got the answer to my incredible high cholesterol.. Yes i will search further -i hope i find something ann [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,205 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $429.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
Thanks Rusty It makes a sense why i was eating soo much and still is. i just wanted to know a bit beyond this :) I guess its too involved and i should probably let that qustion go. SORRY for asking a such a stupid thing.. i should never have posted it in here :blush: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,205 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $429.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sending out this question Ann and thanks to Rusty for taking the time to contribute! Remember smoking affects every inch of your body and the way it functions! All the more reason to keep your quit! Also keep in mind that although the internet is a great ressource, it's not a substitute for your MD' advice. Danielle ___________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Rusty!!! Thank you for going out and finding that stuff! Thta's amazing! Even an oldie can learn something new! Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 248 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,209 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1024.24 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ann, I just started a new thread called "Smoking and Brain Chemistry" with some other stuff I found. Feel free to add what you find in your search. BTW, the day I quit smoking my heart rate started going down. Within a few months, my cholesterol and blood sugar were back to normal. (I also started walking and watching my diet.) Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 567 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,887 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1984.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 78 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$54,953.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 648 Hours: 22

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

NOT a stupid question, Ann. I just did a google search on "nicotine withdrawal and blood sugar". Here's what I found from two different sites: [b]Nicotine and Insulin It is thought that nicotine inhibits the release of the hormone insulin, which is responsible for removing excess sugar from a person's blood. The result can be that the smoker is slightly hyperglycemic, meaning they have more sugar in their blood than usual. High blood sugar acts as an appetite suppressant, which may be why smokers think their cigarettes reduce hunger. In the long run though, nicotine in the bloodstream increases the "bad" LDL cholesterol, which is thought to clog and harden arteries. That in turn will step up the risk of heart attack and stroke.[/b] Site 2: [b]It is not that cigarettes put sugar into your blood stream; it is more of a drug interaction of the stimulant effect of nicotine that affects the blood sugar levels. Cigarettes cause the body to release its own stores of sugar and fat by a drug type of interaction. That is how it basically operated as an appetite suppressant, affecting the satiety centers of your hypothalamus. As far as for the sugar levels, nicotine in fact works much more efficiently than food. If you use food to elevate blood sugar levels, it literally takes up to 20 minutes from the time you chew and swallow the food before it is released to the blood, and thus the brain, for its desired effect of fueling your brain. Cigarettes, by working through a drug interaction cause the body to release its own stores of sugar, but not in 20 minutes but usually in a matter of seconds. In a sense, your body has not had to release sugar on its own in years, you have done it by using nicotine's drug effect![/b] Ann, I hope this helps. Try doing your own search...there's lots more! Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 567 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,887 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1984.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 78 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
  • Quit Meter

$54,953.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Ann, I'm not a medical person, I can only tell you what happened to me and what I read on other sites. In the first three or four days of your quit, your body goes through a lot of drastic changes. Apparently one is that withdrawal from not only nicotine but the 4,000 some odd other chemicals can affect your blood sugar which in turn can make you more shaky. I had the shakes really bad, and once I realized that I should be eating some healthy snacks every few hours, it made a huge difference. I think the best way to get healthier is to stick with your quit, exercise, and eat healthy foods. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 567 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,885 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1984.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 78 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
  • Quit Meter

$54,953.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: