Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

4 months today!!!!

10 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Carol,

I had been wondering where you were.  Firstly, I am so sorry to hear about your sister.  You handled the stress very well, and you were correct to think that smoking would not have helped in any way.  I found that out many years ago when my father died after I had a 3 month quit under my belt.  I began smoking again and it took another 12 years before I tried to quit again.  

The shingles may be recurring again this year with a build up of all the stress you have had, but, as you say, your body is healing a lot better nowadays! 
Thanks for the good wishes to enjoy my Freedom.  Your description as exhilarating is so accurate!!!

Never Look Back!  The Future is ahead! 

Love Lolly./ Carol.       

10 years ago 0 152 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Jim, Thanks for the condolences.  It was really tough losing my sister :(  But my smoking wouldn't bring her back, so I forged ahead despite how easy it would have been to fall back into old familiar and 'supposedly' comforting habits.  I know she would be proud of me for keeping the quit throughout.  And Thanks for the kudos also

Thanks Working   Between my sister being sick followed by the grief of her passing I didn't come on line very much.  But I am healing now! 

Ashley, yes I bought myself a bottle of perfume, a new scent.  I'm still discovering So Many smells out there that I never knew existed!!!!

I'm not in the clear yet, I know that.  One doesn't undo 38 years of addiction/habit in 4 months.  I have Tough Days especially when I get on the scale.  Despite my continuing at 1200-1300 calories a day and minimum 1 hour of intense exercise six days a week the pounds keep creeping on :(  But sooner or later my body will readjust to it's new clean state and the weight will come off; Patience, Patience, Patience.  Then I can give away all the new cheap clothes I've had to buy! 

The other benefit seems to be that my body heals minor cuts, bruises in what seems to me an amazingly short time.  Maybe it is the normal time, but for 38 years it hasn't been like this for me!   And then there is the shingles.  For the past 3 three years I have gotten a terrible outbreak at the end of Nov/early Dec.  This year it is a 1 inch square patch!!!!  Praying it doesn't progress but I Believe this is my body with it's new stronger immunity fighting the virus because it doesn't have to deal with the 4k of poisons I used to put it in daily anymore.  That is my story and I sticking to it, because it makes me stronger in my quit!!!!

Hopefully the newbies are progressing in their quits and the long term quitters are just enjoying their Freedom from the dreadful death sticks!!!

Happy Holidays to All!  

Carol

10 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great work Carols!

How did you reward yourself?

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Carols! I haven't seen you in a while. So glad to hear that you are keeping the quit. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,623.95

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 604 Hours: 19

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Carol!!!

Wooooo Hooo for you!!!  It's great to see that you have come so far on your journey towards freedom!  I hope that you have a great reward planned because you definitely deserve it!!    

Sorry to hear about your sister.  Moments like this in ones life are definitely "trigger times."   I'm so glad that you have learned that smoking will not make any rough patch in your life any better!  Way to go!  It's good to hear that your journey is getting better and better!  Remember those rewards! 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,385.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1062 Hours: 8

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 152 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Wow once I got past two months it has been pretty easy   I've reached the point where I can go almost an entire day without even thinking about a cigarette!!!  There was a really bad patch when my sister died in late October   but I fought through it and emerged even stronger in my quit.

So newbies it is doable; very doable!!!  38 years of a destructive habit gone.  The Freedom is exhilarating!!!

Carol

Reading this thread: