Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Did I loose it..........?

11 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am so sorry Bob..
My heart goes out to you and Pete..You with both be in my thoughts and prayers..

Red

11 years ago 0 124 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am so sorry for your loss Bob.

I wish to follow your lead

N.O.P.E.
11 years ago 0 153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So deeply sorry for your loss Bob and thank you for your motivating and inspirational words.  When I waver in my resolve to stay quit I often peruse your threads and help me refocus on the vital importance of maintaining my quit. It;'s worth the effort at any age.  My mother is 79 and has invasive bladder cancer but will not quit smoking. The oncologist told us that even at this point it would make a difference because continuing to smoke apparently feeds the cancer cells and accelerates their spread.
11 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Bob,

I'm so sorry to hear about Roxie.  It's such a huge thing to face for you both.  Through it all you have written a very inspirational post.  I just hope many new quitters see it and that it makes them persevere in their quits.

It came as no surprise to me that you did not smoke...why would you?...what would it achieve?...would it change anything?...would it make you feel better?  You know those answers and that is why you didn't.  Take note quitters!  Ask yourselves the same questions next time you think of having just one!

Bob, thank you for sharing such personal heartbreak with us and be sure that our thoughts and prayers are with you and Roxie/Pete.  You have found the words. as always, to encourage others.  May God bless you both.

Love Lolly/Carol.  
11 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for your honesty, resolve and strength of character Duffis.  All you have contributed here at SSC has been invaluable - your decision to maintain your quit 'at your age' definitely does make a difference!  It proves the value of the quit no matter the odds, the time smoked previously or the point on our time line that each of us face as we progress through our lives.  You provide enlightenment and honesty to our SSC network and I join all others here in sending compassion and best wishes to you and your lovely Pete.    
11 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats on keeping the quit, going through those tough times can make it hard.  One day i hope to be like you - 2800 days, that is awesome!
11 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Duffis,

I am so sorry to hear about your family.  My thoughts are with you.  You have always had a way with words and they have always been received positively here.

Thank you for sharing with us once again, it means a lot to everyone that you are here and posting.

My best to Pete

Josie, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1095 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Two months ago my best friend and dog (Mr Duffis) died.  My wife (Pete) discovered three aneurysms two in the brain and one in the root aorta.  Did all of this have an effect on my desire to smoke again.......well yes it did......yet I did not give up the quit.  Today I celebrate two thousand eight hundred days quit.  There were many times along the way that I could have given in and started smoking again.  At my age it wouldn't really matter yet I just can not give in; come hell or high water I will not give up my quit.  Along the way in my life I have been many things.  Now I face a new challenge of  becoming a Brain Surgeon and a Thoracic Heart Surgeon (ROTFLMAO) Then again may be I won't and just let the pros do the work.

To all of those who are in the process of quitting or just making the decision to quit I am telling you that you can do it.  Your life is at stake and believe me smoking is a real killer.  I have watched too many of my family and friends have their lives terminated or shortened by the results of smoking.  I am thankful for the SSC, its mentors and its membership.  So many have encouraged and helped me along the way.  Think it is easy to quit after smoking for 60 years........well as a matter of fact it was easy and you too can make it easy for your self if you just have the will and determination.

God bless you all

Bob aka Duffis

Reading this thread: