Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

I did it again yall!

15 years ago 0 597 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
(((((((((((((((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))))))))))))))
That's a great big hug that I have tucked into this  and am sending your way.  Don't be too hard on yourself about smoking.  It happens.  You've got a lot on your plate right now.  You will be back to quitting soon.  I know you will.  And this cheerleader will be waiting to cheer you on again.  Keep posting while you gather your strength.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/22/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 183
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,320
Amount Saved: $1,464.00
Life Gained:
Days: 20 Hrs: 15 Mins: 11 Seconds: 23

• Quit Meter

$52,520.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 742 Hours: 21

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Pookie, I am sorry too, but its understandable, and I believe you will do it when its your time.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 348
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,700
Amount Saved: $5,220.00
Life Gained:
Days: 41 Hrs: 2 Mins: 0 Seconds: 27

15 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Pookie!!

Chin up!!!  Stand tall!!!  Do NOT wallow in self pity...  what's done is done!!!  Now it's time to move on!!!

You have reset your quit date, so continue on with your preparation!!!  Please discuss NRT options with your physician, too!  Chantix did the trick for me and many others here!  Chantix really minimized the nasty cravings that hit me when I tried quitting cold turkey or when I used the nicotine gum.  The side effects are sometimes unpleasant to some, and to me, but  my desire to quit smoking allowed me to continue on taking the drug until I felt I was ready to quit using it!!!  Welbutrin is another fantastic drug and is also, I think, an anti-depressant.  Maybe that would be more helpful to you.  So, do discuss all of this with your doctor and come up with a plan that you both think will allow you to have the best chance for success!   You do seem to desperately  want to quit, and I have no doubt that you will!!! 

Also, Chantix will allow you to continue to smoke for the first 7 days while taking the drug and you will definitely notice that it is working!  After the first few days, you will notice that your craving for a cigarette will diminish and that great flavor you love will start tasting really blah...  it sort of gets your mind to thinking that those nasty cancer sticks aren't really doing ANYTHING for you, so your desire to smoke them gradually fades.  Once on the drug you set your quit date a week after you start taking it!  I'm telling you that if you can deal with the side effects, the drug works at minimizing those cravings!!   Then, it's the mental game with the nico-demon that you have to deal with.  To me it was sooo much easier since those powerful, gut-wretching craves just weren't hitting me!  Anyways, that was my experience with Chantix...  I think that Welbutrin is similar.  Maybe someone else will post and tell you about their experience.

Soooo, keep reading and preparing and psyching yourself up for your next attempt!!!  Review coping mechanisms, get your crave basket filled, and most importantly keep telling yourseld that you CAN do this!!!  The power of a Positive Mental Attitude can take you far on this journey!!!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 414
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,350
Amount Saved: $1,707.75
Life Gained:
Days: 70 Hrs: 4 Mins: 26 Seconds: 19

• Quit Meter

$44,392.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1062 Hours: 12

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
pookie,

I am sorry to hear about your loss. As other members have suggested, take some time to yourself over the next few days. Reflect on your quit and the progress you have made so far. With this experience, you will now know when to expect your cravings, what triggers you, and what kind of coping strategies work for you. You can do this pookie!

If you feel like cold turkey did not work for you, perhaps start to consider other quit aids. Is there another strategy you wanted to try?

Keep us updated on how you are coping pookie. Stay strong!

Sarah
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 53 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am so sorry for your loss. You have had a rough month, but I am sure you can get right back at it. Read and post here often it does help. Talk to your Dr. there is so much out there to help you. I am sure you will make it, it just takes time to get there.

Start thinking up rewards because you can do this and you will need to have some ready for your quit. Make them special for just you.

Big hugs for you.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/21/2005
Smoke-Free Days: 1462
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 36,550
Amount Saved: $14,620.00
Life Gained:
Days: 206 Hrs: 5 Mins: 31 Seconds: 53

15 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sending you a big hug and my prayers.
And about the quit....
Well regroup yourself and talk to your doctor if he thinks you would need an aid and which one. I'm on Chantix and doing fine; some are on the patch,others in Wellbutrin and others cold turkey.
I guess the common ingredient in the quits is the commitment to stay quit. So do whatever you think suits you best. You are the one quitting.
I hope to see you soon. Pick a date and post it here!
Hugs again
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 89
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,335
Amount Saved: $133.50
Life Gained:
Days: 10 Hrs: 4 Mins: 51 Seconds: 32

15 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Pookie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your son.  I feel your pain and am sending you a big (((hug))).  We shouldn't ever let go of our memories of those we have loved.  No wonder you're having a rough month. 
We are all addicts here and if we allow ourselves we can each find a million excuses to smoke.  You are aware of your reasons, but I don't think you want to smoke.  Maybe your doctor will suggest something to help you quit and help your depression at the same time.  When you're ready, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start over.  Recommit to your quit.  Next year on this day you can imagine how proud your son would be of you for quitting. 

Be kind to yourself Pookie.  We'll be here when you need us.

All the best,
Pat

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/28/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 815
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 32,600
Amount Saved: $16,300.00
Life Gained:
Days: 106 Hrs: 23 Mins: 33 Seconds: 27

• Quit Meter

$121,363.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 966 Hours: 17

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Cheryl --  I am so sorry for your loss.   My heart goes out to you.  But do not be ashamed. 

My suggestion?  Honor your son by committing to the quit.  You can become a living memorial to celebrate his life with every smokefree breath you take. 

Post and blog often.  Communicating your thoughts and feelings to others can help with dealing with your journey.

Mega-bear hugs to you.....my shoulder is always here for you. 

Dave 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/19/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 93
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,790
Amount Saved: $767.25
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 6 Mins: 46 Seconds: 37

• Quit Meter

$50,633.91

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1128 Hours: 1

Minutes: 15 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 625 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey pookiie.......Remember it takes an average of 7 tries to Quit.  Stop feeling sorry for yourself about it.  You learn with every try....so it's VERY important to keep on trying.
April is almost over.  Take the next few days and ask yourself if you need to get some NRT's or if you can do this cold turkey.  Write down what you learned in this last Quit.
Make the next Quit about you and prepare for it well.

If you didn't want to Quit you wouldn't have come back.......

huggggg
Bob

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 85
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,550
Amount Saved: $357.00
Life Gained:
Days: 17 Hrs: 22 Mins: 12 Seconds: 20

15 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
April is my hell month!  It is the anniversary of my son's death 4 years ago and I know it's not an excuse but the depression got to me and I fell off the wagon!  I bought a pack and smoked 1/2 of it in 8 hours today.  Needless to say, yes it felt great, but in the same sense it did not make the pain go away from my heart.  My dear sweet son died at the age of 16 and I can not let it go.  So, what did I do?!?!  I smoked!  I am so ashamed of myself.  I need help bad.  I guess this cold turkey thing isnt for me.  Any suggestions?  I really need an ear or a shoulder right now................  UGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: -8
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -160
Amount Saved: $-40.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -59206

Reading this thread: