Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,665 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

isn't it supposed to get easier?

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BJ and Lilly- what thought provoking posts and so true, I too can identify with alot of those things. I once dragged myself to the shops by literally holding on to  walls as I had chronic Bronchitis but I needed to buy some smokes and I was too embarassed to ask any visitors to go buy them for me- but I had to have them.
The times I have panicked when not only the lighter was out of gas but there wasnt a match in the house, and I scrabbled through the drawers desperate for a light.
I am so ashamed of these slavish acts, how lovely it is to be free.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 61
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,525
Amount Saved: $915.00
Life Gained:
Days: 7 Hrs: 5 Mins: 12 Seconds: 45

15 years ago 0 222 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You my friend have just described me when I smoked.
I recall not been able to go to bed because I only had 5 smokes left  in a box,
I would go to the garage at any hour of the night or in any weather just to get cigarettes.
I remember in the past when money was low I would go without proper food for cigarettes
I even recall I would not go to the doctor when I was unwell because I might need the money
for smokes. 
I would not buy my prescription when I was very seriously depressed
I am not proud of many things I did for cigarettes.
But I am proud of myself for giving them up and I hope with all my heart
I never ever go back.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/2/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 190
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,700
Amount Saved: �2,080.50
Life Gained:
Days: 26 Hrs: 5 Mins: 20 Seconds: 2

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bj,

Thank you for sharing with us,

It's great to see the determination that you exude.

Keep up the great work!

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,  Well it will get easier, than days of craves, then easy again.  No one said it would be easy...

I hit the wall at 50 and around 85 to almost 100... You have to say NO ... You have to work the quit.   I smoked for 45 years.   so I KNOW it's going to take a bit for this to sink in.

I also took Chantix.. I started taking 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening.  Some people swera eating a bannana or yogurt before the Chantix helped.   I also found taking  acidopholous ( frome the refrigerator section of the vitamin store, and chewable papaya enzyme tablets helped. with some of the bloating and constipation)   I could only take it for about 60 days. It was Long enough for me to  make that commitment.

I also read Allen Carr's Easy Way To Quit Smoking book  ( free e book download on line)   I also decided.

#1.   I really don't want to take Chantix again.   ( I can only imagine .. it was sometype of yucky psychedelic trip... I was nauseaus, had weird dreams.. felt sooo bloated , nauseaus and I had weird deams.    ..OK but it worked

#2.  I do NOT want to repeat the first 45 days of not smoking ever again...

#3.  It really is so much easier to be a non-smoker... no making sure I have $$$ to buy them, no running out to buy them beofre I run out..I don't have to make sure I have enough with me for however long I will be gone.    I am NOT running out in the rain, sleet, snow or wind ( I am not a Postal carrier) ... to find a place that is NOT invasive to others to smoke. 
I am not jumping up after a nice dinner out, family function or what ever to find some place to smoke.. I do not have cigareete butts/dirty filters in my pocket, because I did not want to throw the butt down in someon's lawn or flower bed. or on the ground.  Oh   &*^%  my lighter is not working.. digging in my person while on the freeway  or trying to get the car lighter to work.. or find it, because the cell phone charge is in it.

#4.  I have rewarded myself.   We adopted a (rescue) cat.. I bought a lap top.. OMG  I would have aguilt trip to look at these rewards.. if I had a smoke in my hand.

#5.   I don't stink.... My hair smells clean.. even the next day.  My clothes, car etc  smell clean.  IF you THINK you didn't smell of stale cigarette smoke.. well then  hey  I have a bridge for sale..

Ok  you get the idea.   write down your own list and look at it............AND DON'T FALL FOR THE ONE PUFF.. THERE IS NO SUCH THING...

N O P E    

Bonnie  150 days one day at a time. some were not very pleasant days.... but I got thru them.  so can YOU

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 150
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,550
Amount Saved: $510.00
Life Gained:
Days: 21 Hrs: 13 Mins: 51 Seconds: 29

15 years ago 0 46 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ok, finally someone who dreams about smoking.  Do you actually smoke in your dreams?  I have dreams about smoking but I never get to smoke.  There's always something happening in the dream that keeps me from smoking.  The cigarette falls in the toilet, my lighter won't work, I light the cigarette but it burns up before I can take a drag.  Frustrating but funny.  You can't get cancer from smoking in your dreams so don't worry about it too much.  It's just something that's on your mind and comes out in your dreams.

It does get easier.  You'll have good days and bad days.  Everyone with an addiction can back me up on that.  It's like a roller coaster ride, sometimes you just have to hang on and scream but it will be over.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 44
Amount Saved: $19.36
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 13 Mins: 56 Seconds: 54

Reading this thread: