Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

back to heavy cravings - again!

17 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I guess so, I decided to stay on the 14mg patch an extra two weeks because I'm not ready to battle yet another round of cravings. Week 6 really was a ***** and is only gradually getting better. Totally agree that it is dispiriting to make it so long and then feel like you're back in Week 1. And I've gained a couple of pounds despite more/harder workouts and just decided I'm not going to stress about it. One thing at a time. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 886 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $209 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

$63,641.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6623 Hours: 2

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 53

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Please do. Since we seem to be at almost exactly the same point in the process we should exchange info and support! Am going to see my doctor this afternoon for a Wellbutrin fill-up. I have to say that the patch might be helpful but the drugs are what is doing it for me this time, the calming influence is unmistakable. I also am determined to be patch-free by the end of March but will follow doctor's advice and stay on the Wellbutrin for a while. Anything is better than blowing all this suffering by smoking again. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 886 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $209 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
  • Quit Meter

$63,641.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I'm also in that five-six week space and this week has been tough -- partly, I know, because I went down from the 21mg patch to the 14mg patch last week. And the gassy/constipated/weird stomach symptoms are back, as is the difficulty sleeping. Here's one thing I did that helped, believe it or not. I rented "Thank You for Smoking" which is now out on DVD and watched it over the weekend. It's hilarious and cynical but reminded me of the *******s who are making millions of dollars off our addiction and misery. If you've got a political mindset -- the kind of person who reads blogs and gets pissed at the right-wingers or left-wingers or whomever you dislike -- I recommend this movie. It will help keep you motivated.
  • Quit Meter

$63,641.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nomi, I think i'm going to just go ahead with the move down to the 7mg patch, even if it means harsh symptoms again. I said i was going to follow the program and there's just 2 weeks and 2 days left in that. I also just read a post by someone (forget the name) that said they've been using the patch (21 and 14 mg) for 10 years. That scared me a bit. I'll let you know next week how the drop to 7 goes... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 514 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $234 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
  • Quit Meter

$263,656.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8467 Hours: 18

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi all - still here and not smoking. I guess my biggest problem this week has been dealing with the unexpected. The best thing about this support group is getting confirmation that you're goign through the 'normal' procedure. sometimes, however, you only get the info after you have been freaking out for a while. Nomi1 You're right about the switch down to the 14mg patch. Although I didn't really have cravings for the first couple days on it, I did revisit many of the early patch symptoms or side effects. I guess next week when I switch down to the 7mg patch I should expect another bout with the stomach issues? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 498 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $228 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
  • Quit Meter

$263,656.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

It's like when you are shovelling snow and you're pretty much done and then the plow comes along and fills up your driveway again with snow from the street. The last three days have been hell ... again. I'm back to the same level of craving I had in the first few days. But in some ways it's worse because I'm feeling like all this work and I'm just going to feel lousy forever. I need to go to sleep for a while because it's the only time I'm not craving. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 473 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $216 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
  • Quit Meter

$263,656.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi Aunt Deb, I'm using a generic brand patch. An 8 week program and I'm just starting week 6 (same patch as week 5). It works fine, or it did until a couple days ago. No, I didn't smoke. And I wouldn't even if I had the opportunity, but I just don't want to feel lousy any more. Over the past month I've had lots of cravings but they had (somewhat) decreased in intensity and longevity. That was the promise - that it would get easier. Now all of a sudden it's back to square 1? I'll just keep going with my coping mechanisms I guess, but i'd like to see a little light at the end of the tunnel. It's looking pretty dim down there right now. My never-smoker wife was really great and supportive for the first couple weeks of the quit. I don't think she understands this relapse. Neither do I. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 475 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $216 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
  • Quit Meter

$263,656.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stubborn, I'm not as far as you in my quit but I've read quite a few posts where folks have hit a slump right about the same time you have. The cravings come back but after a few days, they'll leave again. I know, it sucks but from what I've read, it will pass just like it did in the beginning. Meanwhile, pull out those same tools you used at the beginning to carry you through the slump. And you hang in there. You'll probably hear me singing the blues when I hit the 30-35 day mark and you can help me out of the same slump. Deal? Hang In There Now. Hugs, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 418 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $27 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
Folks, I need a little information. Why do these cravings attack so hard when the nicotine is suppose to be out of our systems in 3 days? What causes the cravings after such a long period of time? I remember my dad quit after smoking 35 years and he smoked non-filter Pall Malls. Remember those? Anyway, 20 years after he quit cold turkey I remember him telling me, "He could smoke a cigarette as long as the couch." After 20 years!!? And, he kept mints in his right shirt pocket for those 20 years after he'd quit....right where he use to keep his smokes. The three days that it takes for nicotine to leave your system, does that mean that in those three days the withdrawals such as anxiety, sweats, shakiness will leave. In other words, the physical withdrawals? But the cravings can last indefinitely? Need a little clarification here. I vewy, vewy confused. LOL I do know that I'm on Day 9 and this morning, I woke up with a horrible crave and it's lasted all morning. Actually, except for small breaks in between, I've had hard cravings since Day 1. I seem to do a lot better when I'm sleeping. LOL LOL I don't want to smoke at all but I'm so tired of thinking about it, reminding myself that I do not smoke, tired of the cravings, and just so tired of thinking about anything that has to do with smoking....period. Right now I feel, "Sick and Tired of feeling sick and tired." Does that make sense? Need some answers folks and a little encouragment too. A boost....a kick in the pants? ha ha ha Hugs, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 428 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $27 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
Changing, you're so right. I won't light up for anything. Not after coming this far. And like you, I was so sick and tired of being ill from smoking. I'd much rather be sick and tired from not smoking than sick and tired from that slow death I was bringing on myself. Rainie, Think Happy Thoughts, Right? hee heee Do you remember those old comedy movies that came on TV where two or three guys would knock on a door, the butler would invite them in and say, "Walk this way," and those two or three idiots would actually walk exacly the way the butler walked. ha ha ha ha That is the oldest comedy skit in the world but still cracks me up. I need to find some of those old movies and just laugh for a while. Even watch a little Red Skelton and Jerry Lewis. Hugs, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 429 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $27 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52

Reading this thread: