Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

How to cope when you have a smoker in the house??

17 years ago 0 74 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for all the help everyone. BIL went away for two days yesterday (nothing to do with me I promise :) so I have a chance to clean everything today. Hubby and I are picking up air purifiers tonight as well as a bucket for BIL to put his butts in. Hopefully that should all help. To be honest I really dislike the smell of smoke... and I'm starting to smell it on EVERYTHING! I guess I have to deal with smokers at some point. This will just make my resolve stronger. :) Again thank you Danni [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/31/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 68 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
  • Quit Meter

$327,088.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5957 Hours: 11

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thanks. I was actually thinking about getting one of thos air purifiers. Now I know what to do with my first months savings!!! I have hundreds of candles and I'm off to light them right now. YOu have inpired em to stay strong. Thanks x x x NOPE!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/31/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 41 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
  • Quit Meter

$327,088.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hey all! I'm on Day Two and feeling awesome. The only real trouble I am having so far is the fact that there is another smoker in the house. My husband smoked but he has quit too so that leaves my Brother In Law. He has agreed to smoke in the basement or outside. This morning I went down to the basement and there was an ashtray over flowing with butts. I immediately went and covered them in water and through them ouside in the snow. He is not a responsible person and I can not rely on him to keep up with this. Also I smelt smoke coming out of his room yesterday on my Day One. Torture!! My question then is how can should I deal with this?? Is this something I just have to cope with or are there any strategies I can use on him :) I'm hoping my and his brother's good example will eventually lead him to quit but I'm not crossing my fingers. Danni
  • Quit Meter

$327,088.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hee hee... I did a god thing just now. Two days ago I expressly told BIL that if I found ciggys anywhere in the house I would throw them out. Zero tolerance. Well I've been busy cleaning everything this morning and there was a pack sitting on the coffee table. So I took them for a bath and threw them out in the snow. He'll see them when he gets home and hopefully get the message. And I got to kick some cigarette butt!!! Lol Danni
  • Quit Meter

$327,088.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Danni... It's your house sweetie...your rules... and...it's ok to become assertive... YOU are in control now remember? (brother in-law is still an Addict...he has no control) Hang in there...auntdeb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,577 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $147.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
17 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, My fiance is a smoker and he smokes in the house. Since he won't go outside to smoke I bought an air purifier and exhaust fan. It helps alot. It was hard for me at first but got easier. Now I just like to torment him by showing him the filter after a week. He gets the message... he's actually slowed down alot. I also burn alot of scented candles containing essential oils- I love them. They actually helped me relax and since I quit smoking I could actually smell them. stay strong [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 81 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,441 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $526.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 318 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I quit smoking with my hubby still smoking in the house and I figured if I was going to quit it was not my place to stop him. After I had stopped for two months he stopped. And now we are both smoke free. But it would not be the best choice. The purifiers would be helpful. And make him flush the butts in the toilet. [IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/Trailbum/horse-ontrail.gif[/IMG] Pat [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 133 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,656 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1330 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You go girl. Hang tough. You must protect you quit. Terri [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 126 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,897 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $448.56 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It gets easier (of course now my hubby is out of province so it got even easier). He smoked outside when I was home...but sometimes I would come back and find his ashtray beside my computer. He really did cut down alot and as non-smoking became a lifestyle for me, smoking was not as hard to resist. Good luck to you! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 143 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,875 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $715 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
17 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My hat is off to all of you. I could not do it. I just couldn't. I'd quit smoking until the other person lit one up. That's why my husband quit too. I told him that as long as he was smoking, I could not quit either. So we both quit. He needed to do it as badly as myself. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/27/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 171 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7

Reading this thread: