Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Question - Any Writers out there?

17 years ago 0 984 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I write as well Anatis, and don't know yet if it will happen to me, but if I do go blank, like when writers block comes on, I do a chain of thought, writing anything and everything in my head, kind of like this message, with nothing but commas separating the thoughts, and purple giraffes and blue trees when the sun shines down on the... Oh. Got a bit carried away there! ;) Hope that helps you?! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �5.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
17 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
the relaxation or good feelings you get from smoking are not due to the chemicals in the cigarettes. they are due to your bodies response to the chemicals in the cigarettes. you probably get all your good ideas from the happy hormones your body produces in response to the cigs. so what you need to do is to get another catalyst/vice to produce your inspiration and ideas. a tip i found was to think of a time when you were truly happy, relaxed, in love even, as long as this time has nothing to do with cigs!! when you go outside for a breather, close your eyes and visualise this time. exagerate it, really put yourself in the moment until you feel completely happy and serene and unstressed. it might work! i am quitting tonight at midnight, and i hope this will work for me! sarah
17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I did the same as you this morning... went outside to the "smoke" chair in my garage to try and collect my morning thoughts. I'm glad to hear someone else has a brain that doesn't ever slow down, as that is me! At times it drives me nuts. Right now, it seems to be obsessing on quitting smoking so I can "fix" the symptoms I don't like. Gosh... give me a tranquilizer for a week! I haven't been without smokes long enough to give you any advice, but knowing someone else is experiencing the same as I am made me feel better. Good luck! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
17 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Here is the thing. I've quit 14 days ago. I don't crave a cigarette constantly, it's more like "Oh I could murder a chocolate bar right now" than "OMG must BREATHE!" That's the good part. Here is the bad part. I write. Always, constantly, my brain buzzing and chattering away, stories wanting out on paper whether they are any good or not. A few years ago I stopped smoking for 8 months - and started again. Part of the reason was because the clatter and buzzing just stopped. Well, it's happening again. I still have stuff going on in my head, but I can't write it down. (Forgive me if that all sounds really weird. I have full color surround sound movies going on in my head usually and I write down what I "see" and "hear". Kinda hard to explain.) The movie is still there, the sound is still there. The ability to put it on paper is... gone. Again. We haven't smoked indoors for years, so it's not the fact that I don't smoke in front of the computer - I didn't do that in the first place. But I used to go outside to smoke, collect my thoughts and then type it all up in a mad rush. I still go outside, just now I take deep breaths instead of that smoke, but the mad rush no longer happens and it tempts me to start again to be perfectly honest. If you write, and this has happened to you, and you got around it somehow, please, please share what you did. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 446 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �65.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
17 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm a musician and you should see me try to play when I quit smoking...even the simpliest of motor skills are hampered when you're quitting. You're just not thinking straight right now. Smoking didn't make you a better writer just like it didn't make me a better guitar player. It all comes back to you, trust me. Good luck! 2tone [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$357,745.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9153 Hours: 0

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 4

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't write, though I've thought about it a lot (I'm sure some really funny quote to that effect exists out there). I've started serious writing twice and was scared by the seriousness of it. If you have compositions buzzing around in your head, and your not schizophrenic, then you have a gift and smoking or not smoking will make no difference to you. Smoking is an excuse for all of us. period. I know that in my subconscious it has become a crutch. Even though it lay dormant for years, it has been there - more than happy to accomidate (sp) at times when my life provides even a crevice for it to make an appearance. Smoking is not you. You do not need smoking to formulate your expressions. You have come to rely on smoking for something related to your being. Only you can address that relationship or at the very least, bite a bullet to surpass it. I am confident that all your creative energies are still strong, though you may see a dip and suffer the effects of supression (sp) while you focus your attention on the larger battle of your life. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 398 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $195 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
17 years ago 0 738 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anatis, I would like to show you that it is possible to write and play and have fun while quitting. I've tried to do the link thing, but I'm just technologically challenged! But go to "500 days of N2K" and see what nonsense we quitters can write up. [url=http://]http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/support/viewmessages.aspx?forum=14&topic=35093[/url] Give it some time, it'll all come back, and then some. Denise [IMG]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p300/DeeKaySss/daffy.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 75 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,254 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $562.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 318 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think this will go away as we ajust. I painted. I don't seem to be ablel to do that. I start and just lock up. But from what I read we should become normel. Hope so. Hope you get some pro responce on this. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 94 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,795 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $846 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Anatis I'm afraid that I'm not a writer....however, I do remember trying to quit when I was in University. I had a paper that was due and I couldn't pull it all together. Unfortunately, I caved and smoked. Fast forward about 10 years....I was hired for a job which required that I complete many reports....only problem - Office was smoke-free!! Initially, I gave myself a mouthful of cankers trying to get those reports done but surprise, surprise.....I discovered that I didn't have to smoke in order to write. I agree with many of the others...do a little every day and I think you will be pleasantly surprised when your writing ability returns. Make sure that you still take time to relax and collect your thoughts but just don't smoke while you are doing it. All the best! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 106 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,133 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $530 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anatis, I also write. I've written 2 novels for my own amusement, and have been told I should send them out. We'll see. My quit date is Jan. 1, and the thought of writing scares me. I would also gather my thoughts with a cig. I plan on waiting a while before I even attempt to try. I'm another one whose mind never seems to shut down. There's alays a story going on. Right now I'm trying to quiet my busy mind and get ready for the quit. Go easy on yourself. Everything will come in time. Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0

Reading this thread: