Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Will you crave forever?

16 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What I am experiencing now.. are not huge craves... more thoughts/urges Not anything that are causing me physical problems.. I have heard others say .. the year makes a big difference, going through all 4 seasons, I try to remember ..that I am NOT giving up anything .. I m taking back control of my life. Smoking is an option.. I choose No. :D Bonnie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/10/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 85 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,445 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $289.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
16 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Will you crave forever? NOPE. Just for as long as you allow yourself to. Push those thoughts away, resist them with all your mite. Get busy doing something else that will take your mind off of those thoughts. It's tough but you are doing a great job!!!!! I replaced smoking with Golf. Find a new hobby! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1039 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 20,780 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,688.45 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 96 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
16 years ago 0 706 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with Danielle. I have been quit just over a year and have to say that I do have "passing thoughts". Even the "passing thoughts" are getting further and further apart though. I too have been told by those who quit years and years ago that the crave really never goes away. I think they really mean the thoughts of smoking. I will say that for me I think about smoking on occasion, but it isn't something that I feel like I HAVE to do. After a few seconds that thought passes and I move on. I'm not gonna say that I won't ever have another crave because I don't know that for sure and sure don't want it to sneak up on me. SO, I still keep my coping skills fresh in my mind just in case! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 383 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,660 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,915.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 30 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
16 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Exactly, Danielle, I didn't mean long-drawn out cravings in my post... I should have made it more clear that I was trying to describe mere annoying 'thoughts' about smoking and how they are not as threatening as those cravings we endured at the beginning of our quits... P [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/18/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 108 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,700 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,215.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Beckylynn, Most members would agree this myth is untrue and that most "cravings" you'll have once you're 1+ more years quit is more of a thought as opposed to the physical craves you experience early in your quit. Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Patrick, that is reasuring. A passing thought is a whole lot better then a big crave. I can live with that. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/29/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 120 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $9.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
16 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Like any addiction the desire is hardwired into the depths of your brain and there will always be the vestige of some long-ago-conquered triggers lurking around and Pow!! it will jump out at you from the Sagebrush and rattle it's bones in your face. But you've already fought the good fight to win control over these little aberrations and tripwires in your mind. So take heart... they become fewer and fewer the more removed you are from them (I dreamt of cocaine for 1.5 years after I quit and I dreamt of morphine for two years after I quit that addiction!) Now I may think of a smoke once a week or twice but it's only been three months since I quit and was so fearful of never being capable of breaking the addiction completely... but... It's DONE and so are all the other addictions... you just have to remember that it YOU who wants to live in the real world and not let it chase you into rabbit holes ever again... Patrick [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/18/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 108 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,700 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,215.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
16 years ago 0 216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have talked to people that have been quit for years and they say that the urge to smoke never goes away. Some say that they could smoke one right now, but they won't. Am I going to crave the rest of my life?????? :confuse: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/29/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 120 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $9.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5

Reading this thread: