Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Not getting support from my husband :(

18 years ago 0 211 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Denisey Rusty said it all. Own your quit. You are doing this for you and you alone. Of course it isn't nice to try and kill your spouse, but just go for those walks, scream in a closet or do whatever it takes to not light up. He should be supportive but you know he won't be, so move on and take back your life. Living well is the best revenge. Don't let anyone push you into lighting up if you don't want that. Remember it's all about you. We are here for you and always will be. You can do this. Keep your quit. vicki just 1 puff away from 2 packs a day [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 93 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,737 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $651 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
18 years ago 0 2364 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Not getting much support from my hubby either. He quit for a little while. Then started up again. He lights up where ever he feels like. I quit trying to get support from hubby. It is my quit that I have to deal with. I get all my support from SSC. Every one on this site is wonderful and they know what they are talking about. You are doing great, stay positive, post often and N.O.P.E. Ash Kickin Joker [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 48 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $7.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Denisey.... We can give you support. This is your quit and this is about you. This is one of those times in your life you are allowed to be selfish and to say the hell with anyone who doesn't support me. (this was a hard part for me) Like Rusty said, own your quit. The benefits of life you have to gain from quitting is unmeasurable. Welcome to the SSC and Congratulations on your decision to quit. You may lose your mind but it will come back :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 201 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,029 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $703.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Denisey....I agree with Shevy's 2nd post. :) Don't let anyone drag you down. I spent years doing that and it just isn't worth it. Quitting is going to change your world in such a possitive way. Stick it out through the hard times and you will see nothing but blue skies ahead. We are here whenever you need us! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 202 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,054 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $707 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
18 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
guitarplayerswife, Congratulations on your decision to quit and welcome to the SSC. Well, at least your husband is smoking outside. That is a plus. The downside is that he will still reek of cigarette smoke. Continue to reassue him that your quitting is not a reflection of your marriage. Over time the smell may not be as offensive to you, but it will never go away. Lead my example and perhaps he will get the big picture and lay down the smokes before they lay him down. You have a great attitude and see your quit in the present. That is a huge hurdle to overcome. Continue to protect your quit and hold onto it with all your might. It is not easy to quit when someone close to you smokes, but people do it every day, so I'm confident that you will do it to. Try not to be intentionally bitter towards him after he smokes and comes in reeking, I know.. easier said than done, but do your best. He knows he needs to quit. He hasn't admitted it yet and doesn't want to face down his addiction, but he knows that day is coming. Best wishes. [b][color=Purple]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 251 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,286 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $614.95 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 44 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
  • Quit Meter

$36,342.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9770 Hours: 21

Minutes: 23 Seconds: 25

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Rusty, I never said a smoker can't love their non smoking spouse with all their heart. I'm sure your husband loves you just fine. The point is that when a living situation changes, such as when one spouse quits smoking, the other should make the effort to respect the others quit and to no longer smoke in the commonly shared dwelling. Even the addict knows that smoking is not healthy. All you are doing is subjecting yourself to a strong dose of second hand and first hand smoke. How smart is that? It isn't smart and when a spouse has the opportunity to support the others quit by smoking outside, they should take that opportunity. To not do that, to continue to smoke in the commonly shared dwelling and around the non/ex smoker is the ultimate expression of disrespect. This is 2006, not 1946. The facts about smoking are well documented. Believe what you want. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. [b][color=Green]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit.[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 249 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,235 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $610.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
  • Quit Meter

$36,342.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Denisey, It always kills me when I see someone post that their spouse doesn't give a crap about them, their quit, their own health, etc, due to this wretched addiction. The fact that there are smoking spouses who refuse to at least step outside to feed their addiction speaks volumes about their ignorance. I realize that divorcing someone because they refuse to smoke outside is probably not sufficient grounds, but man, oh man, what does that really tell you about the smoker? What does it tell you about where you sit in their priority list? I'll tell you where.. Number 2 behind their cigarettes, that's where. Not a pretty place to be, but many here seem perfectly happy to accept that place. The only recourse you have is to ignore him and his smoking. I know.. easier said than done, but also realize he has a weakness that you no longer have. You have made the decision to break free from this addiction and I applaud you. Lead by example and show him what being quit is all about. You can do this. We are here for you. Best wishes. [b][color=Green]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit.[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 249 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,233 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $610.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
  • Quit Meter

$36,342.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Denisey. I've gone through your other posts and I see no indication that your husband smokes. If that's true, then he has no idea what you're going through right now. All he sees is a big negative change in his wife since she quit with no end in sight. I've often thought there needs to be a support group for the friends and family of those quitting smoking like there is for other addictions. They are the ones that are on the receiving end of our withdrawal tantrums. A lot of information says that the nicotine is out of your system in 3 days. That's true, more or less, but many people assume that means the addiction is over. Nothing is further from the truth. All that means is the [u]physical[/u] withdrawal symptoms are over. But the psychological and emotional withdrawal continues for days, weeks, sometimes even months after; for as long as it takes until we learn (behaviour modification) to live without nicotine. I suggest you apologize to him (even if you don't think you're in the wrong). Apologize for what has been said and what will be said. Explain to him that you're going through an emotional rollercoaster that you have no control over and that it will calm down soon. Don't know exactly when, but soon. And make sure you reward yourself. Rewards are very important to your brain's recovery from the years of smoking. They don't have to cost anything, they just have to make you happy. When you feel like blowing up, come here to do it. We don't mind at all. On my third day I detonated all over the Demon Busters (poor folks). Hang in there Denisey. It does get better. :) Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 241 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,830 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $915.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 45 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OK. In that case, forget what I just said and read Golferman's posts. If your husband "gave up smoking" at any time, he wouldn't be smoking cigars. Tobacco is tobacco, regardless of the method of delivery. He's still a smoker, still addicted. Sounds to me like his addiction is now threatened and he's reacting badly to it. Just as he is reacting badly to the threat to his mortality (brother's liver cancer). Your reaction to his outburst (not making decisions right now) was excellent. Sounds like you've got a good handle on it, Denisey. When things get rough, come here and vent. That's what we're here for. ;) Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 241 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,833 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $915.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 45 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
18 years ago 0 1110 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep reading and posting here, it really does help. I am glad some of the posts helped, you "sound" better now and it will get better and better, just hang around us quitters :p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 272 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,453 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2040 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 35 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57

Reading this thread: