Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,622 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

I CANNOT Date a Smoker!

10 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Luckily, smokers are becoming few and far between. That makes choosing non-smokers to date easier. I also cannot stand the smell of dope or dope-heads, either. 
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't think I can date a smoker anymore, either. Last few times I've set up a date with a new person, I've asked in advance if they smoke. I just can't deal with the idea of snuggling up to someone with smoke all over them or kissing the smoker's mouth. And the only way I know to reduce that sensation is to be smoking myself, and I don't want to do that. 

Like you, I didn't want to be one of "those" ex-smokers who got all judgmental and fussy. I had to come to terms with my own limits. It's not about judging others. It's about knowing what we can handle for ourselves. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,613.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 604 Hours: 13

Minutes: 22 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Guys.  Cool.  Thanks for the feedback.  I don't want to be judgemental, but right...just being totally honest with myself.

And, yeah I'll focus on me and my quit and hopefully everything will fall into place...

Another thing tho, not only do I not want to date a smoker.  I would prefer and EX-SMOKER, so they know...you know?!

hahaha

Shannon
10 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hopeful2,

I agree with everyone else, you have to do what's right for you. Good for you for being able to be honest with yourself about this. It must have been a tough decision.

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Shannon!!!

I couldn't date a smoker either!  Also, right after I quit, I used to love to follow someone who was smoking just to smell that smoke again!  Well, that didn't last long!  After a couple of months I couldn't stand the smell of cigarette smoke!  It actually made me gag if I was in a room with a smoker!  Hopefully you will evolve into a smoke hater, too!  It definitely gives you another reason for living a NOPE life! 

Have a great smoke-free weekend!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,370.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1062 Hours: 0

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shannon, you gotta do what you gotta do. Sounds like dating a smoker is a great way for the junkie in your brain to rationalize smoking. At this point in my quit I feel exactly the same as you. Focus on yourself, remind yourself who and what you're quitting for, and hopefully everything else will fall into place. :)

I think you're doing great analyzing what is and what isn't working for you, though. Being honest is really important and extremely helpful, although painful at times. Keep up the good work!! 
10 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Not much of a limitation and a small price to pay for personal success. Plus - I couldn't date a smoker either!! 

Good Luck!!
Penitent  

• Quit Meter

$56,936.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1127 Hours: 19

Minutes: 22 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So after reflecting on my relapse, I think I learned a couple of things, but one of the most important lessons is:  I CANNOT date a Smoker!

I think my addiction found him.  Subconciously, I think I used him as a scapegoat or rationalization to SMOKE.

I do not blame him.  And, I have nothing against smokers.  The smell does not even bother me, as I actually like the smell.  I just can't stand to be around it because I like it!

I just do not think I am strong enough to date a smoker.  Not to mention, I do not want to see a spouse die of a smoke related illness - which is my motivation for NOT smoking.

I never thought I would put this limitation on myself, but I think this is one that is neccessary for me and my quit.

Any thoughts?

Shannon

Reading this thread: