Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,674 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Saying goodby to Mr. J. R. Duffis, DSD

11 years ago 0 1095 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great question Mr Ed and I thank you.  I too do not know what I would have done for sure.  However, I can say that my resolve to quit smoking was very much inbeded in my mind.  Your quit partner (Pete) dam near died from smoking.  Today she is quit however the damage has been done.  COPD is taking its ugly toll, meds, oxygen etc. plus limited mobility.  After smoking for 58 + years I wonder how I escaped the ravages of smoking that most folks suffer.  I am active, play golf and walk a lot.  Mr Duffis and I walked about 2 miles every day of our quit.  Rain, snow or sunshine, it didn't matter we just did it.  I really expected to pass on before Duffis and I miss him, our daily life and the great things we shared.  I am sure he is waiting for me in the great beyond.  Again Mr Ed........thank you.

Eyja I am sorry I missed your reply to this post.  Secondary smoke is just a much a killer as smoking itself.  Roxie (Pete) has figured out a way for Yoga, the tread mill is out of the question.  We have adjusted our life styles and will manage. 

Bob aka Duffis
11 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Duffis,

I'm so sorry. If however, this had happened a short while into your quit, would you still be displaying your impressive stats? I'm sure that in my case, the answer would be no.

Take care
ED

11 years ago 0 127 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bob, so sorry to hear of your loss. my thoughts are with you
i know what it is liketolose a much loved friend and companion
lynnexx

11 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"Due to our ignorance we smoked in the home.  So Duffis was a smoker and he too suffered from COPD just like Roxie . . .  I hope that all you lurkers out there who are thinking about quitting see this post and begin to understand that smoking is a killer".         
WOW Bob!  It never occurred to me that your pup could have suffered from COPD from second hand smoke!!!! That is so scary!  I also hope Roxie can find an exercise and good health care routine to keep her COPD at bay and enjoy life from here on in as well!  
I agree with you wholeheartedly that anyone thinking of quitting smoking should read this post!  Smoking kills, kills, kills!  But the good news is, that once you've given up the habit, all you have to do to stay Quit is to adhere to N.O.P.E. (Not One Puff Ever!) and you will be free! 
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,660.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 605 Hours: 18

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 16

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So sorry to hear this Duffis.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1095 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Jim, Roses and Eyja.  Due to our ignorance we smoked in the home.  So Duffis was a smoker and he too suffered from COPD just like Roxie.  I, so far, have escaped the ravages of smoking to some degree.  Once we quit smoking, Duffis and I began our daily walks and changes in life styles.  I hope that all you lurkers out there who are thinking about quitting see this post and begin to understand that smoking is a killer.  I have watched too many friends and now Duffis die from this terrible addiction. 

thank you again folks for your kindness

Bob aka Duffis
11 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So sorry to hear this news about your namesake, Duffis.  Consolation seem like cold comfort when you have lost your best friend!  But it seems like it's all we can do from this end; just to empathize.  I can't understand nature's intentions regarding lifespans of the animal kingdom - How can it be that our best friends are blessed with 1/7 of the time on this earth than we can expect to live ourselves?  My heart goes out to you and Roxie as well.  I'm glad you have each other for all the understanding, support and memories of the lives and great times you have all shared together. : (
11 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Bob...

So sorry for your loss..My sympathies go out to you and Roxie today..

Hugs to both of you..

Red...

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Bob...

I am so sorry to hear about Mr. J. R. Duffis.  My deepest sympathy goes out to you and Roxie.  Our four-legged children are so special...always there for us with unconditional love and it is so hard when they leave.  Be comforted by the knowledge that he is in a better place now; free from the physical body and all of the aches and pains from growing old.  Rest assures that you will meet again and the reunion will be a joyous one! 

Hugs and love to the both of you, buddy

Jim

PS... I know that Mr. J. R. Duffis is so happy and proud of you for quitting!
  • Quit Meter

$44,437.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1063 Hours: 14

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: