Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

What have you done since you quit?

16 years ago 0 277 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wouldn't say "obsession"...but I have been trying to spend more time excercising. Especially running. I am considering signing up for the Terry Fox run this year.....and that would require some training. And then there is always shopping... :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/14/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 420 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $142.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
16 years ago 0 735 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have 2 new tricks that come to mind. The first is, I am never without a bottle of water. The first thing I do in the morning is grab a bottle, the last thing I do before bed is grab a bottle. I never leave the house without one. I even bought a new purse that is large enough to hold a bottle. I have totally cut out all soft drinks in favor of water. Now that I am filtering my own water and re-filling bottles, I guess this obsession is not so bad. My other new trick is self talk. After I grab my bottle of water from the fridge, I tell myself how thankful I am to be a non smoker. I remind myself of how much happier and healthier I am now that I do not smoke.I do this out loud and for anyone who is arund me to hear. I have done this every morning for almost 7 months now. I also did this in the early days as needed to fight cravings. Not a bad obsession either, come to think of it. A great way to start the day off is by giving thanks. Now, for the bad obsessions... ;p Those darn rewards just keep getting me in trouble! G :eg: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 212 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,360 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,017.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
16 years ago 0 140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I didn't really set out to start a new hobby, but I find that I enjoy walking the dog and gardening a lot more than I did before I quit smoking. I guess both activities give an immediate hit of positive reinforcement - you can FEEL the extra energy you've gained. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/1/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 960 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �254.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
16 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great examples of avoidance techniques and coping mechanisms :) Josie, Health Educator
16 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm crocheting an afghan. It keeps my hands and my mind busy. I'm also watching more detective shows on TV. It takes my thoughts away from the fact that I'm not smoking. Tomorrow I'm starting back on my treadmill. Another good use of time. Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/27/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 525 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $178.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
16 years ago 0 130 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I haven't picked up a new hobby or pastime since quitting. I just keep doing the stuff I'd been doing before, such as knitting and surfing the web and reading and posting on the BB I joined over five years ago, except I do it without smoking. At times I still reach for my ciggies and lighter but they're not there any longer, so I just do without and get on with what I've been doing. Surprisingly, the longer I don't smoke, the less I think about not smoking, although, and I'll be truthful, there are times that I would move heaven and earth for a ciggie. But I like to see that I've almost made three months now and I'm taking it a day at a time. As soon as it gets a bit warmer outside, I plan to start walking, which I should have been doing, smoking or not. But if you're asking if I traded one obsession for another, the answer is no. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]11/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 87 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,740 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $539.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
16 years ago 0 392 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am just curious what kind of hobby or pasttime you picked up after you quit?? Did you become obsessed with something else? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/17/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4

Reading this thread: