Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Has anyone had this happen?

17 years ago 0 292 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, Interesting described it exactly how I've been thinking! That "it's time for a treat" thought pops up and I'm vaguely disappointed that I don't get one (a treat). Yet, I don't WANT that particular treat at ALL. I see how instituting "rewards" can be such an important component of a successful quit! I've had thirty years of conditioning my mind to think "every thirty minutes you get a treat." Even though that's faulty thinking (feeding an addiction to get relief from withdrawal is far from a treat!), it was still the way I thought of it. At first I thought about smoking/notsmoking constantly, but lately I've actually gone two to three hours without thinking of smoking, which I'm really happy about! I have found that hanging here and reading posts makes me think about NOT smoking a lot, which is in the neighborhood of thinking about smoking... but has a totally different effect! Reading posts here do NOT bring on craves, quite the opposite. Interesting! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 954 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $93 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Serenity2 I am sorry to hear about your job loss...I understand totally the stress that that particular situation creates. What are you doing to off set the stress? Is there anything I can do for you, research, etc. to help you through this thing? Nonic
17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Maybe I should start another thread on this one, but I am beginning to wonder what all our bodies go through after we quit smoking. I notice that Jan has a cold. In my second week, I had a sinus infection, and now I have shingles. I've come across three cases of friends with relatives or friends, who got shingles after they quit smoking. This is weird. I wonder what else our bodies really go through when we quit. If anyone else has had shingles, let me know... it's just interesting (like my name), to find out. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 328 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $61.76 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm only a month in, but I find myself having that quick thought that tells me it's time to go have my "treat". I didn't smoke in the house, so went outside. I'll be doing something, and a thought comes along and interrupts all the other thoughts, telling me to go have my "treat" now. Then the other part of my brain gets all happy for the treat, and I come along and tell it that those nasty things are not treats, and they have been outlawed and are no longer available. The thought that follows that is sometimes: "Yay for me... I no longer do that". Other times it is: "Hmmm... what can I do instead?" Other times it is: "I feel deprived". Through them all, I do not and will not smoke. I'm still working on a thought to replace all of the above that come along. I think that will help. Well... those are my thoughts on the matter. lol [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 323 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $61.76 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jan - I don't know if you remember....but there was a point in my quit when I asked "When does it feel natural" I felt like a smoker that didn't smoke instead of a non-smoker. Your question made me think about how I am feeling now....and I guess I feel like I am somewhere in between. There are still some triggers in my life that can be pretty strong....but they don't happen every day. I don't spend the day thinking about cigarettes but I still have smoking thoughts. Honestly, as I get further in my quit, the idea of smoking just doesn't make sense. I know right now I obsessing a little bit with the exercise and diet thing...........but I honestly think that I needed something new to focus on. The more I feel my life with non-smoking activities, the less time it takes in my thoughts. But...........I still check in...because I always want to check in at SCC not because I'm craving.....but just to see how my SCC buds are doing. Congrats on 19 days! You are doing so well....... Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 143 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,875 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $715 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm almost 3 weeks smoke free and while I don't crave or want to smoke, thanks to the patch and the zyban, I am very AWARE of the fact that I don't smoke. When does it become less of a thought, when you don't think about not smoking? When you just don't think of it at all. Just wondering, Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 576 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $171 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks guys. There's a lot of great answers here. I'm not craving, but it keeps popping up in my mind that I don't smoke. Many...many, times a day. Its nice to know this will go away on its own without me having to force it. Other than that, all is going well. Well...except for the cold. And that would make me want to smoke even less! Have a good one, Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 591 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $171 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 589 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jan soon it will start to control your thoughts less and less. All of a sudden you'll think wow, i haven't even thought about it in 12 hours or whatever that number might be. It came as quite a shock to me when i started having that thought instead since you think about it so much at first. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 173 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,859 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $678.16 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 243 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am driving myself absolutely nuts with tension and the constant thought about the whole stopping smoking thing. But I think that's because I have time on my hands (lost my job) because I was MUCH better while working. Tips - I walk hard and fast with my mp3 player blasting. Going to the gym. Having a swim. Doing anything physical - cleaning the house does good things to my stress levels. LOL Good luck and hang in there. I am not even EXPECTING thoughts to ease off for a long time yet. S x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,865 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �318 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
17 years ago 0 1127 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jan, I agree with Philip, I think about smoking now and then too. I know I will never go back to smoking because no situation is that bad that I need to smoke. I think that every time you are in a situation where you used to smoke, a person will think about a cigaret. I call that: a link in my head. But remember: Thinking about smoking doesn't have to be bad at all. You can think about how happy you are that you DON'T have to smoke anymore. As I always say: Think positive and think as a non smoker. You can do it Jan, and you will. You have the choice to smoke or not to. You'll know what to do. GF. Dutch xxx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 306 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,188 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �902.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 42 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23

Reading this thread: