Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Just another addict's story, how I got here, random thoughts, taking steps.

17 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ok, this could take a while to write and will be boring to read for the majority of you. It's mostly for my own benefit but I thought it might help other people (surely I'm not the only one!) in my situation. Started smoking due to peer pressure at 17. Tried and failed to quit several times. Same old denial story we've all gone through. I've known for some time now that I was going to have to quit smoking or suffer the consequences. I actively did not want to quit or even think about the horrible anxiety I've always associate with quitting. My health was on the line but for years I've just wanted to stay in denial and happily (har har har, now there's a good laugh) smoke until I grew old and died. In fact I had become resigned to this dreadful end and gave up hope for several years. My hubby (he still doesn't know he is one) enabler even promised to hold my hand and comfort me while I struggled for my last breaths. Oh ya, I forgot to mention and so did he, that he'd be there providing I didn't die when he was ouside having a quick smoke. Progressively my lungs and general health have gotten worse. Now 2 doctors had confirmed emphysema was starting and that only quitting smoking could arrest it's rapid progression. In September I had another bought of bronchitis, this time with asthma related breathing difficulties and got my first puffer. Rapid recovery but then I started wheezing noticably at odd times. Soon after, I started waking in the night coughing and not being able to breath properly. Crap, I was scared, equally of dying and quitting smoking for good. I'd refused to believe it would come to this, but one night I searched frantically for that puffer just so I could get some air into my lungs...no crisis calming ciggy that night for sure even though I still wanted one mentally! That night was when I seriously started mulling it over. I thought of all the people I knew who had quit and lived happily (even if not forever) afterwards...so obviously quitting didn't kill them. Then I thought of all the people I know who should have quit, didn't and suffered or died because of it. Eureka!!!! No brainer!!!!!!! It can be done!!!!!!!! The biggest and most difficult question:???????? H O W ?????????? I had no idea really, I only
  • Quit Meter

$121,344.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 966 Hours: 13

Minutes: 23 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My, Oh my, how can I accept all these glowing comments when really I don't feel like I've accomplished all that much yet. I'm working soooooooo hard but the true test is yet to come. Thanks everyone for being here for me! Just because I think I'm prepared doesn't mean this will be smooth sailing for me, as I've been in this boat before and I know how rough it can get. Danielle, I feel prepared and very close to ready. I will be ready when I feel the medication kicking in. I learn more about myself and my triggers everyday, so I'm glad to have time to figgure a few more out before the 28th. windy, look at you, 130 days is unimaginable to me right now! You truely are an inspiration to me. It's such a relief for me to know that you can accept your fate as a smoker, even plan for dying that way and still be able to COME BACK TO LIFE AND BEAT IT!!! Lady, you are so right, getting started is the hardest part. You can be sure I will be looking for you and anyone else who will help me through the hard bits. I love to hear you saying how worth it is to suffer all those miserable moments to get free. I'm going to be repeating those words as my mantra because I want that freedom! faithfreedom, I'm doing everything I can to make this quit my "last quit". Wow, you are the amazing one...103 days for you!!!! Hope you will tell me if you see any of those traps I'm missing or tips on dodging them. penguin, thanks for the encouragment. I've been sitting behind you drawing diagrams and taking notes! Mind if I put my feet in the tracks you're leaving behind you? Another mantra, do not look back, do not look back, do not look back.....Hmmm, I love it! SammiJoFL, Congratulations on your amazing 18 days (I can't wait to see even 8 on my meter). I may feel prepared, but you know how even the best laid plans get tossed out the window sometimes if the car lands on it's roof. What did you do that got you through hell week? Rainie, Way to go on deciding to quit!!! I've been following your progress as much as I can and love reading your posts. Soooo many posts here and not enough time to read everything I want to so I haven't heard much about MrMagic except that you two are going to stomp on this thing together. I'd be so honoured to cheer you b
  • Quit Meter

$121,344.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 966 Hours: 13

Minutes: 23 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 292 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
MAN, I wish I'd been this prepared and this informed when I first quit! I didn't find this site until a week later and that first week is HARD! You are going to do this! I'm with faithfreedom, I can't wait to watch your progress! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 566 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $54 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pat, I am sure you are going to be surprised at how wonderful it feels to actually stop smoking. The first days are though but then, every new day is a victory and you get soon on the side of somebody who thinks: how is it possible I did do that to myself for so long when i am actually feeling so good not to smoke anymore? The cravings happen and I am not so long in my quit but they do space up quite quickly. More it goes and more you actually quickly forget about your smoking habits and start a new life in which cigarette is not part of. Cigarette just becomes a part of the past, an old habit which fades away by the days. I hope everything will be ok with you, keep strong and post a lot, I see you, Rai.
17 years ago 0 613 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pat: You are amazing! You have put so much thought and effort into your quit, you're bound to be successful. Your message is so very inspiring for all of us. You spelled everything out for yourself in a way that shows how much you really have learned already about yourself, the addiction and what it will take to become the nonsmoker you are choosing to become. You know what some of the traps are, and more importantly, how to dodge them and stay strong. GOOD FOR YOU!! Can't wait to follow your progress as your stats grow and grow! Keep the faith [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 103 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,155 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $824 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
17 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[font=Comic Sans MS]Ladycigevictor, Thank you for sharing. You have gave me the motivation to continue on my journey of kickin' butt. When I need someone to give me that lil' kick I come here. Thanks for this great site. [/font] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 261 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $51 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Lady - You are inspiring already and you are just getting started. I also was resolved to die as a smoker....and I believed there was no possibility that I could quit. But...........with the support of the great people at SCC, I am still here. There will be many friends here waiting to help you along the way too. All the best - You WILL do this! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 130 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,617 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $650 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pat, I just love your resolve. You've got this well planned out. This is something you really want to do!!!! And good for you. You know we'll be here for you when your non smoking life begins. You'll do just fine!!! Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 224 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $63 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ladycigevictor, Wow! Thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm impressed to say the least! You're a shinning example of what preparing for a quit means. You've obviously put a lot of thought & effort into this quit and it will serve you well. You finally see smoking for what it is, congratulations! You're ready. Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 682 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Boy am I lucky girl. I get to quit within a few days of the likes of YOU! I too am preparing for this in many of the same ways you are as is MrMagic. I hope we can be there to cheer each other on! I will be proud to stand sidebyside with you on a non-smoking podium accepting our congrats medals as we beat this thing to death!!!! Good luck! PS Tell family to get their butts (literally) outside to smoke. You will all soon love the new smell of your home. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0

Reading this thread: