Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,771 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Cecilia_EH, MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78

When does it feel natural?

17 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Normal � 1) Not reaching for that cigarette. 2) Not wanting to reach for that cigarette. 3) Not craving. 4) Thoughts of lighting up don�t come to mind.
Hi Windy and Monica I have a difficult time thinking it is much over three months where you start to see the beginning of the end, the final stage occurring. Like QuitMeister I agree, six months when a smoking thought might occur daily, or every three or four days. At nine months, not much there at all. I recall that I had a string of craves that hit me in month 5 for a couple of days. That was it. So Windy, 70 days a little short ye however you have made all the right moves. Monica you have a ton of courage quitting and thinking that you need to prepare yourself for years of smoking memories. That is not going to happen to you, trust me! Keep your courage as freedom will be yours. No craves and no smoking memories. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 303 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,558 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1590.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
no more cig, Good style, wisdom and support, thank you for being here. 89 big day for you and my so close! Hi Dunedad, Congratulations to your steadfastness. I think that the long term quitters are quit. I believe they enjoy shepherding people, being �guiding lights�. It can be every bit as gratifying to give as it is to received. You are coming along nicely.
17 years ago 0 1010 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Windy!! I have found it is getting a little bit easier each day for me. I am slowly learning how to deal with stressful situations. I keep several packs of gum in my purse for that trigger crave. You are doing well Windy!! =) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 64 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 643 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $128 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
  • Quit Meter

$36,533.83

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 425 Hours: 15

Minutes: 15 Seconds: 20

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So, define 'normal'.......................... :confuse: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 75 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,769 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $600 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
17 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy, Great thread. My take on feeling natural is this. Take the length of your quit (n years). For n years, for each day of each year it felt natural (or normal) to smoke a cigarette every waking hour, and crave another nicotine 'hit' after a short period. This life of denial and reward was my 'normality' for over 30 years. It is little surprise then, that it has taken me more than a few weeks to 'forget' what I considered to be natural way of life. Everybody IS different; NoMoreCig has what I consider to be a good idea in allowing 1 week quit for each 'smoking year'. It is a hard thing to measure, but my yardstick would be the frequency of Rewards. In the early days, I found myself rewarding myself regularly on a daily basis (albeit in small ways). This is now diminishing (as are smoking thoughts). When my quit was less than 3 months, I listened to older quitters and trusted them that there would be light at the end of the tunnel. People said that seeing a year through did it for most; I am three months away and know that there is no going back. Earlier in my quit, I felt 'I feel down, but I know I won't smoke'. If ever I feel down these days, or have a setback, smoking is the last thing on my mind! Life is great now - stay with this and it can be great for you too!! all the best to all of you Mr Ed :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 282 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �2115 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 47 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
17 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Everyone on this thread with the exceptin of Stickin has less than 100 days. It's great you all put yourself out here and tell how you feel (this is what makes this place rock). Hmm, so you all have different viewpoints which I think is fabulous. You all have extremely positive quits going as well.... This IS the answer guys, EVERYONE of you thinks differently and will feel the effects of quitting DIFFERENTLY. I myself am not sure what natural is, I always figure it's whatever I am doing at the time. Like smoking used to feel natural. How sick and junkie is that??? But seriously, if it took 23 years to do the damage to myself, I will dedicate a couple of years to trying to reverse it and change my life for the better. Live Laugh Love people. No worries on what it right at the "right" time. Just appreciate breathing and living in a way that will keep you around longer. Nice stats on all of you - how'd yall get so smart so QUICKLY???? Oh yea, the SSC that's how. ;p Best, CobenFan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 242 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,123 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $847 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
17 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy Hooray that the "bone-crunching cravings are gone"! The feeling/thought of being a smoker who isn't smoking will pass. How and when is a question of your own quit. Everyone is different. I have debated with myself on if I should respond to this post. I keep coming back to it and thinking about it and so here it is. This is my own thought and I am sure it will be different for everyone. My mother-in-law smoked for 40 years, she quit in her sixties and died in her nineties.I knew her for 30+ years and I smoked near her. She would say how much she liked and enjoyed the smell of cigarette smoke and she never would actually smoke. When offered a cigarette she would say "oh no thank you I don't smoke, I just love the smell of the smoke". She was adorable and lovely and a real lady. When she quit she was quit however the smell never bothered her and she said often how much she enjoyed the smell. My mother smoked for a shorter period of time quit when she was in her late thirties and she hates the smell of smoke and is very vocal about how much she dislikes the smell. She is also a lady and is as polite as can be however she is amazingly intolerant of both second hand and residual smoke odours. What is normal for each of these ladies? I think they are both different and that each forms their own normal. What is of great importance and is the "kernel" of wisdom that I can take from each of them, is their determination and commitment to be quit. They simply were non smokers. With my mother-in-law she took longer and was more uncomfortable with her quit, my mother just quit, she never wanted to go back and never has desired to go back. Windy, I hope that the time will come when you can just be with what is now. That you are a non-smoker and you simply do not smoke. Habits takes time to rehabitualize, and the thought and action part of the mind that has been so rigourously trained by the addiction will take it's own time to retrain. The most important element is that you Never Take Another Puff, Not One Puff Ever. Patience. Stay Strong Hope what I have said has helped. Cheers Phillip :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 278 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,967 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2224 [B]Life Gaine
17 years ago 0 214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy, For me it was around 10 months. Everyone will be different. From the day I quit I expected to still think about smoking for at least a year if not longer. When you have done something for so long it is only natural that it could take awhile and knowing that up front helps alot I think. You can just say oh that is normal and go about your business. I will always be an ex smoker, but I never want to smoke again. Iwin [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 316 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,320 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1264 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 35 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't have your answer Windy but can relate so much to what you are seeking. It's an addiction all addicts have these wonderings. I have friends who get an occasional cig thought or dream ten years into their quit but they laugh it off, because after all the addiction had been with them for so long. I figure I smoked for over 20 years gonna' be kind to myself and figure I'll feel normal in about 20 years. Here is the caveat, at least I'll probably be alive in 20 years as a smoker it would have been much more questionable. Hope this helps. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 970 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $240 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41

Reading this thread: