Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,663 Members

Please welcome our newest members: kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ, Julia725

RELATIONSHIP WOES... ANY HELP/ADVICE?

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
fish, Stay strong, make good use of your coping mechanisms. We all experience different withdrawal symptoms when we quit smoking, and some people do get depressed. Quitting smoking is hard and often people find it hard to make such a dramatic change in their lifestyle. Although side effects may be unpleasant, they should pass. When you experience withdrawal symptoms, remind yourself that each symptom is a sign of recovery. Your body is in the process of healing itself. If your depression persists, or seems worse than you expected, you should immediately consult your doctor. It�s possible that your smoking has been masking symptoms of your past history, and when you stop smoking the symptoms may abruptly become noticeable. If you�re uncomfortable talking to your doctor about depression you may want to take The Depression Test at: www.depressioncenter.net/depressiontest. The test gives you a �Final Report� that you can print off and hand to your doctor. Take Care, Melanie __________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fish, Bad times come hitting hard, and then a year later we're like, why was I so crazy about something I had no control over. Tell you what you do have control over - the GREAT choices you have made for you. You will make things better for yourself, not anyone else. Take care of #1, do the workout, take the treat afterwards, sleep when you want, run when you want and talk to friends all you can. While there are confusing times in relationships, everything happens for a reason. The rest will come. Prayer works for some, digging a garden helps others, find what puts your mind at ease. Enjoy your great workouts and everything else will work itself out in time. I believe that's there's more to life than incresing it's speed.!!!! No hurries, no worries. Keep on keepin on! CobenFan (Christine M)
18 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Fish, I'm in a similar relationship and I too find it upsetting. I'm beginning to think that I am addicted to the relationship (or maybe the guy), because I know I should walk away, yet I don't. So, obviously I don't have any good advice for you lol. I just wanted to let you know you're not alone in these feelings :) On the upside, I just hit 2 weeks, which is a personal best !!!!! I'm very psyched about it *pats self on back* Congrats on completing the marathon ! I bicycle, walk and rollerblade for exercise. I would love to be able to run or jog, but previously my lungs just couldn't handle it. I am hoping that my lungs will repair enough to allow me to jog/run this summer. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 573 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $70 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
18 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Fish, working on a better you - it is your own path - and almost the only thing which makes sense in life - although it is not easy. it is also a lonely path. Probably she is not there to be your company on this journey. you surely will find real enjoyment on your path - BTW where is your water? Have you found it already? Are you heading to it? I hope it is not too much waiting for you, that you can change your name in "Fishinwater". Parola [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 164 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $52 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear fishoutofwater, I unfortunately don't have any answers for you. Relationships are hard. I am so undoubtably in woooohs for you that you quit in the middle of all that. That is very strong. [IMG]http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/5748/praying5bb.gif[/IMG] My prayers are with you! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 944 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $101.37 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
18 years ago 0 663 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't have a craving for a smoke at all. It's weird. It's just that emptiness that is so permeating sometimes. Sometimes I feel like nothing, sometimes, everything. Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't. thanks, y'all - for the support. I hate to be a drag, but I seem to be so good at it. Really, thanks for letting me vent and paying attention - it really makes a difference. Every one of you is right - it's so easy from the outside sometimes, isn't it. I will keep on keepin' on for I am the fish and fish can't smoke. Thanks again - I'll keep your words close for when I need 'em. life or death - live or die. there is only do, there is no try. choice puts the free in freedom. (can I steal this, Christine?)No hurries, no worries. keep on keepin' on - fish [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 105 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,174 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $525 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
Thanks, Penquin. I've got my eye on you too. I will keep my promise. keep on keepin' on - fish [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 104 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,146 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $520 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
I'm feeling really down. I've been training for the last three months for a 10k that I ran this past weekend (04/01/06). Now it's over and I accomplished my goal time and now I think I'm going to train for a marathon in November. I feel really proud of what I've been doing and of how well I've been treating myself. But now I've hit a lull and I'm down in the dumps... I want to share all of this with my ex - I want her to be proud of me. We split up right around when I quit, right before xmas. It wasn't really official until she finally told me she didn't want a relationship with me in early January. We had been having some problems, but it seemed as though we were working through them. Things seemed to be progressing, then, seemingly spontaneously, she decided she wanted out. Obviously, this hurt - I tried to maintain the friendship that she told me she wanted but found myself unable to do so. I would get angry and we would only communicate when it suited her convenience. I stopped contacting her, but kept missing her. We've had some email conversations in the last month but they ended with me responding to a comment she made (she said she felt like she had screwed me up and felt bad that I'm seeing a counselor and going to church, etc.) with the retort that I'm working to be a better me and that we both had some dependency/addictive issues to work on. Anyways, I guess I'm just venting. I miss her, but I don't want to give in anymore (and email or call her, just to be let down again). I'm angry at myself for letting myself get hurt. Sorry for whining so much. I'm not really sure what to do. I've just got to suck it up, I suppose, but I'm tired and lonely. And we all know what that leads to. I won't even consider that foolishness, though. I can't even think of smoking. My lungs function too well after all of the running I've been doing. Just sharing, I guess. Hate to be a drag. Ce la Vie, eh? Any enlightening thoughts out there. I feel like I'm missing the lesson or I'm stubborn and don't want to learn it... hmmm. I stink at relationships, it seems. Life or Death, Live or Die. There is only Do, There is no Try. Choice puts the free in freedom. Keep on keepin' on - fish [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote] but I'm tired and lonely [/quote] I can sooo relate. I get tired and lonely as well. Like you, I'm not very successful at the relationship thing either and I think I hid all those feelings behind smoking for years. When we quit smoking the way we think changes. You probably aren't missing the old girlfriend, especially if you were having problems, you are probably just missing the comfort zone of the known vs the unknown. This journey we are on is not only a journey to quit smoking but its also a journey to get to know ourselves better too. Take care of your quit and everything else will fall into place. We live in an ever-changing world. The right person for you could walk into your life tomorrow and you may never have met her if you hadn't quit smoking. Everything happens for a reason. Keep up the great work. You are doing Awesome! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 278 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,573 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $973 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fish, I'm so sorry to hear this! Life sucks sometimes, but it would be boring if there weren't any hard times ever, right? We're always here to listen, so vent away. I don't really have much good advice... I've been there A LOT and you wouldn't want MY advice! LOL! But I just want to say that I know how you're feeling. I'm sure that things will turn out for the better eventually. Keep the faith. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 158 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,971 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $652.54 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38

Reading this thread: