Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,542 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf

Hard to set behavioral goals when behavior isn't largely affected

16 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cricket, I am also in my 2nd week of the program, and I'm having some of the same feelings about setting goals. I'm pretty much doing everything I need to do to find a job, and to do the part time temporary job I have, and am more or less keeping house. The problem is I'm overwhelmed with feelings of inadequacy, and it all seems so DIFFICULT. Maybe for me the "pleasurable activities" part of the homework is the most important, and I should focus on it, since there are always many steps to actually doing them, and it's so easy to let them go. It sounds like the things that normally give you pleasure aren't right now. Might it help for you to focus on the goal of having more fun, even if it means finding new, maybe simpler ways than the activities that aren't so fun right now? I hope this is helpful. Linda
17 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cricket, Thanks for posting. One of the most important things to keep in mind when working through the exercises is that there really isn't a right or wrong way to do them - just make your choices as meaningful to you as possible. What you describe as a "mental capability" is just as important to your personal progress because performing and achieving these smaller steps will ultimately help you reach your goals. Remember to take things slow, work at your own pace. For example, maybe today you perform an online search for specific articles and tomorrow you choose one to focus on. Keep us posted as to how you are doing. Please don't hesitate to ask if you need further assistance. We can be reached directly via the feedback link. Casey ___________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team
17 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all, I'm in my second week of the program and trying to set behavioral goals. The problem is, my outward behavior isn't much affected by my depression. I exercise every day, have started doing Yoga, I see friends, I am managing to keep the house clean. I do plenty of things that would normally give me pleasure. My mind is a troubled mess much of the day while I do these things (my depression score is in the 50s), but I already know pretty specifically what activities help my mood and how much. I am a graduate student in science, and because of the declining of my thought processes, I haven't been able to pursue my research. Also, I am doing lighter duty at work (have an understanding boss) but still working. So the only two behavioral goals I can think of are that I would like to be doing my research and working with my full duties. I guess I can map out some step by step processes (do a math problem one day, read a few pages of a research article). But performing those things doesn't depend on some inner motivation, but purely my mental capabilities. Am I missing something? Any advice from other members or the moderators? I am committed to trying anything that might help, and want to give this program a good try. Cricket

Reading this thread: