Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Telling my mother...

9 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This message is for Robyn and everyone... I suggest locating a support group that welcomes caregivers and support persons to attend. I am an assistant moderator of a Mood Disorder support group. It is not uncommon for first timers to the group to bring along a family member or support person. Often they are more eager to get answers than the individual. We will often shift our meeting to more of a question and answer session for the guest. Again and again I am thanked afterwards for the opportunity. I believe they walk away with a better understanding of their loved one's situation; their triggers; and, possible coping mechanisms. Most of all though, as we have members at all levels of their disease, it is an opportunity to realize they are not alone and that improvement is possible. It has appeared too that many of those support person who might have felt embarrassed experience a wave of relief. 
11 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been trying really hard to stay positive and even though my mom knows everything going on with me she remains to be negative and bring me down. I have been challenging her words more and more lately but to be honest, I'm really work down. I feel so happy outside of the house but when I get home it's like I'm being strangled by negativity and her lack of support. She made it clear today that she will not be helping em at all to pay for school and won't be helping my sisters either. She also made it clear that the money she's saving is for "more important things". 

Being at home makes me suicidal so I really don't know what to do anymore. I keep trying to challenge her way of thinking but it's like she forgets what I say the next second. I feel hopeless at home and moving out isn't going to be until a little later. I'm hoping by the end of this year...we'll see. 
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent.

Now be sure to tell her and talk to her about it.

Ashley, Health Educator
I want to tell her that she doesn't need to worry about me because I am getting the help I need to get better. I want her to know that I really am doing my best to have a positive outlook in my life and that I need her to believe in me. Thanks for the support Ashley!
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kathia,

I think talking to your mom was a very good idea. Good for you for having the courage to talk to her about it. It can be scary to open up to people about depression. Please know that you have absolutely nothing to be guilty about. Depression is an illness - not only did you not chose to feel this way but you are also actively trying to seek help. Talking to your mom about it is another way to ask for help. The more support you have in fighting depression the better.

I think it would be a good idea for you to talk to your mom about this. If you don't want her to tell other people then ask her not to. Talk to her about how you would like to supported and what she can do to help. Be open about how you feel and ask her how she feels. The more you two can openly talk about this the better both of you will feel.

What do you want to say to her that you didn't say the last time you talked?

Ashley, Health Educator
I'm 21 and live with my mom, step-dad and 2 young siblings.
My om and I fought today and I told her everything that was going on.  I didn't think I'd have the courage to do it. We both cried so much and it's been a long time since we've done that. She held me so tight and I felt terrible for everything I had done and felt.

Part of me feels relief but most of me feels absolutely terrible and regretful. Maybe it would have been better not telling her...

Telling your mother that you've tried to kill yourself ...twice... and have depression is a very difficult hing to do.

I've probably made her worried and paranoid on top of all the stress she already has. I don't know how things are going to be at home now and it worries me. I don't want my mom to constantly watch my back or tell my aunts and I also don't want her worrying and crying again.

What have I done?

I hope I made the right choice in telling her. I've been seeking counselling since September but my mom doesn't seem convinced that I'm getting enough help. I really hope that I made the right choice.

What do you people think?

Reading this thread: