Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Change your diet, change your mood?

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
  changing my diet to include more chocolate.  I think this is an interesting topic.  I just recently startedd getting B12 shots.  I am surprised at the difference of course my B12 level was so low that this was my only treatment option.  I did not know long term use of anti-seizure medications can cause low B12 levels; hormones, too., and medications used to treat GERD.  I have all three things.  Seems a doctor should have gotten some clue before it got so low.....but at least it's "fixable".
I take anti-seizure medications to treat refractory depression (btw).
14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello KittyKat,

What you can eat can certainly affect your mood. If you are thinking of changing your diet, you should talk to your doctor since some foods can interact with medications in a negative way.

In regards to chocolate, chocolate is known as a mood enhancer because of phenylethylamine (PEA) a naturally occurring substance that elevates endorphin levels and acts as a natural antidepressant.

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was reading through an old nutrition almanac and found a short article about how you can eat your way to happiness...basically it talked about consuming lots of complex carbohydrates, fish, and vitamins B6 and B12, and limiting sugar, caffeine and alcohol consumptions.

Sounds interesting to me, I'll have to ask my doctor next time I go in. I thought chocolate was supposed to make you feel happier, but limiting sugar is on this list?

Any thoughts?

Reading this thread: