Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Eskalith CR?

14 years ago 0 50 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
goofy,

Thank you for your helpful advice/suggestions. Your post/feedback response is very much appreciated, considering, as you mentioned, that you are not familiar with Eskalith, yet posted a response Anyway. Thank you.

Yeah...the seroquel has a heavy sleep drug effect and makes you feel like a zombie most of the time. lol.

And don't worry...i'm not insulted. Being a college student means I am educated, but not always informed. There is no limit to learning. We learn everyday and sometimes the obvious needs to be pointed out or emphasized so that careful and accurate research is done. So, thank you for stating what you did.

I will observe myself more carefully with my body/physical well-being, in response to the meds.

Thanks,

Fallabe12 
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fallabe,  I've not had an experience with eskolith but I would suggest that you keep track of tye times you are sick and what preceded your being sick (if you ate, were more anxious (test, etc) and report that to dr. as well).  It could be useful information.  There are four different classifications of drugs to treat depression and other classifications of drugs to treat people with bipolar disorder.  I would suggest you do a bit of research on the net.  I think one of the rules here is no URL's; however a quick google regarding psychotropic medications or classification of meds to treat depression and/or bipolar disorder can help you out, I think.  Make sure you look at the dates of the information you are reading (lol, I'm telling this to a college student, not trying to insult).   I think the more you know the better you are in terms of your options and what is out there. 
I had the same experience you had on the Seroquel.  I wasn't concerned about driving or studying - I just couldn't stay awake. 
I hope you can work through the side effects of the Eskolith and get to a plateau.  Sometimes as you said our bodies just need to adjust to a new med; but don't take any chances - call your doctor.

Well, so far, I have been doing alright on the meds. Yesterday, I felt fine and slept well. Last night/early this morning though, I had terrible anxiety and couldn't go back to sleep, nor find a comfortable position. I had to get up, get a drink and read my book to go back to sleep. I was up an hour and a half before I was able to lay down and sleep. This morning, before breakfast, I felt nauseous and felt I would vomit, but didn't. Then, mid-day, bout 1/2pm, I started to feel nauseous, dizzy, too warm, and my breathing was shallow and heart beat significantly increased. My head has also felt like I have been laying on bricks when I put them on pillows. I don't know if this is me adjusting to the meds, or if I need to immediately stop because these experiences might be of some concern. For now, I will wait it out and see how I feel tomorrow and all of next week. If I still don't feel that great, I am going to discuss this with my doctor.

Has anyone experienced any of the things I've experienced upon starting Eskalith?

Fallabe12
I started the Eskalith last night and so far, I feel fine. Usually I get a little sick when introducing my body to a new substance. I don't feel weird or cloudy like some other meds might make you feel within the first week. I feel....."normal", if that makes sense. I will keep this post updated and let you all know how it is working for me. I look forward to getting better!!
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Fallabe12,

Thanks for sharing with us. As you said it is best to consult with your doctor regarding questions about medication. Keep posting your questions and discussing with your fellow members.

Check in soon,

Samantha, Health Educator
Lance,

Thank you for your feedback. I did read about using anticonvulsants to help with the mood in bipolar, as well. I read this in the last week, so its interesting you had brought that to my attention. I will definitely look into what you suggested. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Seroquel is different for everyone. People react to meds differently. But, in my experience, seroquel made me extremely tired.....all the time. I am a college student and I travel back and forth between my home and my school (going two days a week). It takes an hour and a half to drive and I definitely want to be awake enough to endure that commute. The seroquel had made me tired, even during the day. I couldn't do any of my studies because I would read a few sentences of a paragraph and I would fall asleep. I would only realize this after I woke up and knew I had fallen asleep. On a day-to-day basis, I was flowing in and out of different levels of consciousness. I have never had Narcolepsy, but if I had to make a comparison, I would imagine that the seroquel effects were something like that. I was uncontrollably falling asleep. Also, and this may be because of my size (110lbs) but, within 5 minutes of having taken the medication, I would fall asleep, even if I wast standing up. So, it was very powerful for me. Worked fast and knocked me out. Literally, lol. So as far as sleep goes, yeah......it will definitely put you to sleep with no problem, but it may work a little too good.

Again, this has been my experience, so, I am unsure how it would work for you. I am unsure because it was over a year ago, but I think I was taking 200mg of seroquel, 300mg of zoloft and 600mg of lithium.

I hope this helps,

Fallabe12
14 years ago 0 194 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi, those are are different brands of lithium Im pretty sure. You might ask your doctor about anticonvulsants that are used as mood stabilizers, like lamictal. Another antidepressant, if your having problems with the SSRI's ( Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors is Effexor XR which is a SNRI   (Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) works on the two chemicals. Ive been on both, now I take Mirtazapine (Remeron) is a psychoactive drug of the benzazepine and tetracyclic antidepressant (TeCA) chemical classes which is used primarily as an antidepressant. It is sometimes used for its anxiolytic, hypnotic, antiemetic, orexigenic, and antihistamine or antipruritic effects. But were all different, so you just talk to the doc. But the more you know about your options, the better it is with working with the doc. since you know whats working. A lot of times if you do the research you can suggest what you think may work based on experience. How was Seroquel? My pdoc suggested it, since I have a hard time getting to sleep, but no Insurance.

I am supposed to start taking this new medication called Eskalith. The CR is controlled release, as I understand it, so that only a part of the dosage releases initially and gradually, the rest of it is deposited in your system. Is this correct? Anyway, I do not know much about this medication and do wish for people to share their experiences with this medication. I have not taken this yet because I wanted some feedback on it first. My doctor prescribed this for me and says to give it a try. She suggested this because my diagnosis is Bi Polar Disorder. I am currently taking Sertraline (Zoloft 150mg) and It seems to work for a month or two and them wears off. I have taken Lithium (600mg) in the past, was on it for 3 or 4 months, and it really worked for me. I was also on Zoloft and Seroquel at that time, as well. I have been newly introduces to the meds Lithobid and Eskalith, but am unsure of all the side effects. Are the side effects of these meds the same as Lithium? Are Lithobid and Eskalith the same? Are Lithobid, Eskalith and Lithium the same? I am very confused as to the connection between the medical terms. With the Lithium, I experienced hand tremors, facial twitching, involuntary movements in my legs, constipation and weight gain. Are the side effects the same in the other meds I listed? If so, I don't know if I should take this because I was unhappy with the side effects of Lithium. Plus, the close proximity between the therapeutic and toxic levels of Lithium was a risk that was a tad uncomfortable for me. I hate having to get my blood checked once a month. Do I have to get my blood checked on this one as well? 
I appreciate and all feedback. I will discuss these concerns with my doctor. However, I also wanted to see people's personal experiences with this drug. It's always good to get a second opinion.

I do apologize if this thread was already posted by someone else. I tried looking in other medication threads to see if it was talked about and I did find one Lithium thread, but didn't feel putting my post there would be helpful. Any other threads there may be on this....again, I apologize if these questions or issues were already previously discussed. Please either direct me towards the forum where this medication is discusses, or please provide feedback on this medication. Though, I would prefer the latter. Less work....lol. I'm a bit lazy, sorry.

Fallabe12 

Reading this thread: