Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

How long do Paxil withdrawals last?

16 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi lovelybones, In my case it took 2-3 months until I have not experienced any side effects of Paxil any more. I also quit and am on no meds now, which does not mean at all I am completely healthy, but the side effects reached such an extension with almost no effects of the meds, so I wanted to try without. I still need help - I would like to complete these 16 sessions, I really believe, this can help. hope, you will feel better very soon perth
16 years ago 0 799 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi lovelybones, As moderators, we are not able to provide medication advice. Fellow members will be by soon to share their experiences with this medication. You have provided so much insight into how you have been feeling. Sounds like you have a very good plan in place to help you through with lots of great supports to aid your progress. Keep us posted, Casey ________________________ The DC Support Team
16 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anyone have experience with Paxil (generic) withdrawals? I stopped taking it about a week ago - yes, cold turkey and yes, I know that's not recommended. I know there are risks associated with stopping suddenly but they made me worse instead of better and when I got to the point that I almost melted down at work and had the urge to stab myself (and I was not suicidal before), I figured the risks of staying on them were worse than the risks of stopping them. And I couldn't get in to see my doctor right away. Anyhoo, for the last week I have run the whole range of nausea, sweats, headaches, "brain zaps" which are the worst, face numbness, paranoia, anxiety, crying fits, irritability, sleep disturbances...I could go on... It's getting a little better each day, but how long will this go on for? My psychologist explained to me that there are different types of depression - medical and psychological. Medical depression responds well to medication, psychological doesn't. Meaning that if the source of the depression is the misfunction of neurotransmitters, the medication works. If the source is trauma, self-esteem, poor coping strategies, etc then psychotherapy tends to work better than meds. She also explained that if the meds increase your energy before they elevate your mood, you end up more anxious. I think that's where I was. The source of my depression is psychological so I refuse to take any more meds but I will continue this group and will see my counsellor every week and see my doctor regularily. I wanted to clarify that because I believe that sometimes meds are necessary, and some people's lives haved been saved by them. So I'm not advocating that everyone should stop their meds and there is certainly nothing wrong with taking them, and if anyone tells you otherwise, tell them to stick it. We do what we have to in order to make ourselves healthy again. In my case, I need to face my past in order to enjoy the present. And to do that I need to know what I'm feeling, not what the meds are making me feel. If anyone can tell me when the withdrawals will subside that would be great. I'm looking forward to feeling like my "normal" depressed self again.

Reading this thread: