Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,546 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

To share or not to share?

13 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Newbeginning,

I thought I'd share my experience. When I had my major depressive episode I did tell my immediate bosses (2 different people). At the end of the day I was very relieved to do so as they had noticed something was wrong anyway, my performance was poor, I was late for work all the time, disengaged, I was usually very well presented but during my time my grooming was terrible, etc. I was very lucky. Both were very understanding as the mother of one of my ex bosses is a psychologist, and then as for my other ex boss, his ex wife was bipolar, and his boy had ADD. Because of this they were very understanding and reassured me that getting my health back was the number one priority. I felt very supported and it was a huge relief to know this as is took the extra stress of being afraid all the time of losing my job, stress that of course one doesn't need when is going trough an episode! As for colleagues, etc. I did not tell them anything. I let them draw their own conclusions, and I soon started getting better and I was no longer the 'topic of conversation'.

Of course every situation is different and it all goes down to how comfortable you feel to discuss this others (and how appropriate it is) but that was my personal experience.

Good to know you're on the mend!! :)
13 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Tiana.
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jewel,

So much to consider- you raise many great and imporant points. For sure do what you are comfortable with in terms of who you share your story with. People will draw their own conclusions even if you do share. Of course, it's important to protect your job so that might be one way to decide- tell those who are involved in the direct supervision of your work. But even that only needs to happen at a certain point. You might want to look into your employers and/or states policies about this type of thing. Protecting yourself from a legal standpoint is most important. Unfortunately mental illness is still stigmatized though it is slowly changing.

You are very brave! Keep up the good work!

Tiana, Health Educator
Yeah I think I will likely use that approach. I guess I wonder what's worse, what my peers may think on their own or the truth. But really I think I just need to come up with some general answers for any possible questions and you're right, really none of their business. But I think there's a lot of value in some of peers who are more like friends knowing BUT as you suggested once I know I am dealing with it on my own and feel confident about it. Even though people may have gathered that it had to do with mental health, they don't need the details. Sometimes it's easy to regret trusting some people so I won't put myself in that situation. I'll just need to think of responses to any questions ahead of time.
Thanks Goofy!
Also, yes. It may be a while before I'm back to work but hoping soon and for sure can keep you posted on how it all goes.
13 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I returned to work at a Mental Health and Alcohol/Drug treatment program.  I let my supervisors know.  I don't think it's necessary to tell everyone and knowing the nature of the human element of people, I decided I would share on a need-to-know basis.  There is stigma attached to people with Mental Illness.  As I learned to cope better and deal with my Mental Health issues I let more people know.  I now advocate for people with Mental Illness in my community, working to eliminate the stigma, etc.  I do think a gradual approach to sharing is best.  
You mentioned you work in social work and yes, they should be more accepting.  The key word there is should be.  
In my opinion it is none of their business unless I chose to make it their business.  I had to be off work for some female issues and I didn't go around announcing that and it is more widely acceptable and understood.  I wasn't embarrassed, just no ones business.  
So I guess it should be, in my opinion, based on your comfort level and the environment with the consideration of how people stigmatize people with mental illness.  
I'd like to hear what you decide and how it works out for you.
Looking for some feedback re: the experiences of others.

I was working while struggling with depression and shared this with some of my coworkers, supervisor etc... I ended up being off work suddenly due to severe anxiety that came out of no where, I was immobilized and crippled with anxiety. Well I ended up being diagnosed and it turns out I have bipolar 2. The anxiety was excess energy, racing thoughts and heightened anxiety from taking antidepressants (that can happen when someone who is bipolar is prescribed antidepressants). So now, I wait for the proper meds to kick in and am doing better as I wean off the antidepressants.

So I am hoping to be back to work asap. Should I share with people what I have / what happened? My thoughts are that people may already be wondering what happened, why I was off suddenly and draw their own conclusions anyhow. I also think that having bipolar 2 does not change who I am and I've really externalized it as an illness. I also don't think it should carry any more stigma than someone having diabetes or a gluten allergy... but the reality is it may have people viewing / acting / treating me 'differently'. I think we need to break down the barriers and stigma... but do I need the possible stress of carrying that?... I'm not sure. To me, it doesn't change my competence, if anything, life can only ijmprove nwo that I know and now that I have meds. I would be explaining the reaction to the antidepressants and that the bipolar 2 diagnosis explains those productive workaholic idea focused periods of time. Am I wrong not to think it's a big deal and shouldn't be hidden if people ask? I work in social work so people should have some understanding. However, I don't want the stress if sudden people think they can't take me seriously etc...

I'd like to hear form others who returned to work... what did you share / not share... with whom... and how did it go?

Thanks!

Reading this thread: