Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Habits: How They Form and How to Break Them.

12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Eleveno, 

Yes, I also found this really interesting.   Upon reflection, we can all find habits we consider normal or healthy, when in reality they are not or that they may be associated with negative core beliefs..
Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Vincenza,

It is interesting your post because I had a bad habit which I kept for years but only recently I realized that this habit was not healthy and made a decision to break it.

Now I see that this habit developed around my depression and it worked as a scape from the reality.
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Have you ever wondered about  unusual or harmful behaviors you may have?    How they started?  Why they are so hard to break? 
Writer Charles Duhigg explores these questions in a new book entitled "The Power of Habit"  Not only does he examine the science behind forming habits, he explores how companies are working to use our habits to market products to us.

Take a moment to read more (link below) and share your thoughts!

npr books:  Habits:  How They Form and How to Break Them.   Retrieved from: http://www.npr.org/2012/03/05/147192599/habits-how-they-form-and-how-to-break-them?sc=emaf.  Retrieved on March 17, 2012

Reading this thread: