Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,537 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Myth or Fact?

12 years ago 0 619 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Vicenza,

You are right. In my case my family have been of great support and without their help it would be more difficult to deal with everyday difficulties.

With my friends it's different. I am not so open with them as with my family as I still think that talking with them about my depression could be a sign of weakness. I am afraid what they will think about me or change their behaviors when they know that I am suffering and battling with depression. In the worst days I have some difficulties in hiding all of my emotions and my depression interferes with some of daily activities in these days.
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Myth: Family and friends can’t help me with my depression.

Fact: Family and friends can help by offering emotional support, including understanding, patience, affection, and encouragement. Try to engage in conversation with others and listen carefully. With family and friends you can also participate in outings and activities with others and they could help you to sign up for an old activity that you used to really enjoy.

National Institute of Mental Health:  How Family and Friends Can Help.  Retrieved from:  http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/men-and-depression/how-family-and-friends-can-help.shtml.  Retrieved on Feb. 11, 2012

Reading this thread: