Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Did you know?

15 years ago 0 271 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rosie, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.  You are a doll, I love you. 
It is nice to know that I am not the only one out there who experiences what I experience.  I will definitely try some of the techniques suggested on the forum of the website (albeit with my doctors permission of course).
Again, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Woohoo, finally some answers, and new things to try.
Thank you Wildcat, as always you are very helpful, I will look into these sites.

I have been trying it their way, exercise and change of diet for the past 2 years, with more depression, more health problems, more medications and more distaste and anger for not being given honest answers to valid questions.  Like how much and how long do you have to suffer through the awful  effects of further depression, further exhaustion, constant pain, stomach problems (related to when I eat bran and whole grains) before a doctor will say whoa this obviously isn't working for you.  I just keep hearing do it, do it, do it.

Rosie, Thank you for the website, I will check it out, my google works fine, it doesn't always come up with what others come up with or maybe I don't think to type it how others would.  I don't think in the abstract, I think in black and white, I would never have thought to put in exercise causes depression, I type in exercise depression (not the same results)

I am not lazy, I get off my butt every day, I go to work, I work my butt off, I come home and cook and clean and take care of my family.  I take care of my disabled husband, I ensure that everything that needs to get done, gets done. 

I again apologize for discomfort, pain or other maladies my posts may cause. I understand my bluntness may be upsetting and may come off as being mean-spirited or otherwise not very nice.

15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
furgittit.
 did the work i wanted for me ... I originally found the information that told me that exercise and proper nutrition will stimulate my body to function properly.  THis is the fruit of my research....  I need  to be around for my children and I need to provide a better example than my parents and grand-parents. -I am not going to be bed-ridden and institutionalized at 50yrs old like my parents (my mom is mentally retarded and my father was psychotic).

As I mentioned, I saw stuff you were looking for under the web search engines under subjects like...
*eating disorders and fitness (extreme coping measures).
*annie lifestyles (anorexia/bulemia as a choice)
*exercise risks with diabetes, cardiovascular disease,
*diabetes and foot injuries, hypogycemia, cardiovascular events
15 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi furgittit

Sorry to be blunt, but the Health Educators are just giving advice on what MIGHT work. People are different, why don't you try it and see for yourself. If doensn't matter how much theory you read, whether the stats are good or bad, if you don't  actually try it for yourself you will never know. If you type in 'exercise casues depression' in google you get a lot of different views .

Karen, I really appreciate all the advice you guys give us here and have applied alot of the tips and techniques in my daily life which makes it bearable to get up in the morning. Thanks Wildcat for all that research....
Wildcat,
I read what you quoted, wow, but where is the other side?  I am still only being shown only one side.
Sorry, just looking for completion, not more questions.
15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi ,

As a first place to look I would try the World Health Organization.  It have the views and funding of many across the world and you might find something there...

Otherwise, since you seem to talk about the obsessive compulsive (exercise freaks, fitness freaks) you might look into eating disorders and the annie lifestyles... anorexia/bulemia coping strategies that include EXTREME fitness routeins. Or you can look up each illness and the risk of pushing exercise too far... like with diabetes, without a limit you can push too far to the point of hypogycemia, injury to Feet and ankles that are difficult to heal, cardiovacular events... (that is why it is always moderate exercise and with a warmup and cool down period).

according to the WHO...

Chronic diseases, such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, chronic respiratory diseases and diabetes, are by far the leading cause of mortality in the world, representing 60% of all deaths. Out of the 35 million people who died from chronic disease in 2005, half were under 70 and half were women.

This invisible epidemic is an under-appreciated cause of poverty and hinders the economic development of many countries. Contrary to common perception, 80% of chronic disease deaths occur in low and middle income countries.

The global epidemic of chronic disease must, and can, be stopped.

Healthy diets and regular, adequate physical activity are major factors in the promotion and maintenance of good health throughout the entire life course.

Unhealthy diets and physical inactivity are two of the main risk factors for raised blood pressure, raised blood glucose, abnormal blood lipids, overweight/obesity, and for the major chronic diseases such as cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and diabetes.

• Overall, 2.7 million deaths are attributable to low fruit and vegetable intake.
  • Overall, 1.9 million deaths are attributable to physical inactivity.

Recognizing the unique opportunity that exists to formulate and implement an effective strategy for substantially reduce deaths and disease burden worldwide by improving diet and promoting physical activity, WHO has adopted, in May 2004, the "The Global Strategy on Diet, physical Activity and Health. "

Recognizing the unique opportunity that exists to formulate and implement an effective strategy for substantially reduce deaths and disease burden worldwide by improving diet and promoting physical activity, WHO has adopted, in May 2004, the "Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health".

The Global Strategy has 4 main objectives:

• Reduce risk factors for chronic diseases that stem from unhealthy diets and physical inactivity through public health actions.
  • Increase awareness and understanding of the influences
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
furgittit,

As you know, every body is different. These studies are not suggesting that exercise helps everyone, as they demonstrate the positive effects that exercise can have on a persons mind and body. 
What works for some does not work for others...you have to find what works for you!

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
I apologize to those who may find my posts offensive.
15 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Karen,
Again, no answers, where do I go to get the information I require.  I have looked online and all I find are the studies that are one sided and do not show anything about the detriments to physical activity.  I know physical activity can and does cause bad things but no-one out there admits it in "exercise freak" studies.  You cannot tell me that everyone in the world except for me benefits from physical activity.  If this is so, then there is something seriously wrong with me.
As for feedback, where is that, I cannot find it anywhere.
15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Furgittit,

I am sorry that you feel the information provided in Mod's Corner are inadequate.  We strive our best to provide our members with as much helpful and useful information that is evidence-based.  I commend you for questioning the studies, as that is what a critical thinker should do! 

I also encourage you to do an academic search online...you will find many studies that support the findings on exercise and depression. 

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via feedback.

Karen, Health Educator

Reading this thread: