Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

did it!

17 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rowan (my daughter is named Rowan, too :)) I'm not sure if you are still around, as your post was nearly 6 months ago, but it resonated for me. First of all, wow! It made me feel good just to read about your achievement -- how you were able to stand up to your anxiety and push your way through to do something that was really important to you is wonderful and full of courage. I just posted a success story and am in that "top of the world" frame of mind. I'm also waging an internal battle with my critic who is trying to do the yeah-buts to me, so thank you for reminding me in your second post that I need to address that. When I'm feeling good, I usually push any negative thoughts away so that they don't interfere with my mood of the moment, but I'm learning that by not dealing with them, I'm just allowing them to accumulate until they burst upon my at a moment when I'm vulnerable. Sleep is a vulnerable time for me and it's common that the day after a really good day is a really bad one because my negative thoughts flow freely through my dreams. If I'd done what you did, my critic would have been niggling me all night, analysing every detail of the event and magnifying everything I'd done wrong until, by morning, I'd have convinced myself that it was the worst decision I'd ever made in my life, that I'd embarrassed myself and my dear friends terribly and that my only options going forward were to phone my friends and apologize abjectly or just never see them again so that I wouldn't have to feel the pain of the embarrassment! It is horrible how cruel we can be to ourselves. I'm learning that I need to address the negative thoughts as they come, rather than push them away, and that it's much easier to counter my negativity when I'm feeling good about myself. It's also easier said than done, but I'm trying. Thanks again Janice
17 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I was on top of the world yesterday for achieving what I did, today I feel so so horrible though! Is that normal? It doesnt detract from my achievements and im still really proud of myself but im wiped out today, is it normal to have a low after a high when trying to recover? Does anyone know?
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rowan, That's wonderful! Thanks for sharing, we are so proud of you! It's the little victories such as this that help us learn and continue to progress. Keep it up! Danielle ________________________ The DC Support Team
17 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am following the program and just wanted to tell you all that i managed to do something fab today. I've been very badly depressed with anxiety and panic for some time now but since starting the program have felt like im really taking positive steps to getting better, even though life is still really hard. Today I had to go to a christening and be made a godmother. I knew it was coming but it always seemed to be weeks away, suddenly it was today and I woke up this morning crying, shaking, feeling sick and dizzy and so so down. I got my boyfriend to call up the parents and tell them I was too ill to come but I stopped him at the last moment and filled out a form like the program helps us to do. I listed all the evidence that i would be ok at the christening and i managed to convince myself to go. Well in the end i made it there, I just couldn't let my anxiety and depression make me let down people who were relying on me. A few months ago i would have run away and wouldnt have cared at all who i was hurting. I had the strength to stand up to it today and say, even if i have a horrible time, im going to do this. Ive just got back and whilst i didn't have the best time ever, i made it through the day. I didn't run out of the church, i managed to have some drinks, talk to complete strangers, have some food, be sociable and now i feel like ive taken a step forwards. at times during the day i felt like i was going to be sick and i felt so so miserable and that i was the unluckiest person in the room, but i reminded myself i was there and that was a huge step for me. i feel proud of myself, even though noone except my boyfriend knows how hard it was for me to do this today, and thats something i havent felt about myself in about two years. So everyone should take heart from their small triumphs, tomorrow might be a bad day but if you can make a little step youre going in the right direction

Reading this thread: