Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,576 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RREYES, TBACARO, RMUEGA, LARISTOTELES, DeeTart

depression without self-loathing, anyone else experience this?

17 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone, Thanks clueless for bringing this thread forward. Several members here also that we have not heard from in a while. Feel free to check in and share how you are doing with us. Casey ___________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team
17 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This post sounds like I could have written it!! I am just over whelmed by life and everything that is spiralling right now, my only self-esteem issue arises from not being able to handle it myself this time like I usually do. You are not alone, and I think that managing to stay out of the self-loathing aspect is very positive and a great accomplishment!!
18 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
power, Have you tried the program. This program is 16-weeks. Each session is based on the previous session, so we strongly advise that you work slowly through the program and not jump ahead. This may pinpoint the areas you want to work on. You can discuss this with your doctor and it can help better assess the situation. Hope this helps, Josie ___________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team.
18 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey, I sort of know how you feel only I don't have negative thoughts on anything. It is more of a no thought thing for me. But, according to my psychologist, it all comes back to self. The way you view yourself and the way you want others to view you. Don't know if that made any sense but I just wanted you to know that there are others out there who feel something similar. That what you are feeling is normal as far as any of us depressed people can be. :)
18 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there: I don't know what experiences have caused you to plunge into depression so its hard to say if it has anything to do with self esteem or not. I hear what you're saying, and I am more or less in the same boat, although I do believe that indirectly self esteem is playing a part in why I'm depressed. Like you, I don't "hate" myself - I am proud of what I've accomplished in life, think I'm a decent person, am content with what I look like - in other words my depression is NOT based on feeling entirely worthless. I have little desire to interact with the rest of the world either - dealing with people requires more effort than I'm willing to expend. I am bored - very few things even peak my interest..if I had a million dollars and was told to go make myself happy, I wouldn't know where to start. I say that self esteem plays a part in my depression because ultimately I never feel like anything I do is good enough. There is a reason you don't want to interact with other people - like they say, you have to love yourself before you can love others...so if you hate others, doesn't it stand to reason that on SOME level you hate yourself? I could be totally off base, just giving you my perspective.
18 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i have had some rough experiences lately that have left me feeling drained. i took the depression test and scored right at the upper edge of moderate-to-severe depression. but all of my high scores related to loss of interest in all activites, loss of energy and enthusiasm and not wanting to get out of bed. but no problem with self image, no self hate, no worthlessness. sure, i have negative thoughts and they are repeating and they are: "i hate everything and everybody." and "black". but right now my negative thoughts are focused outside of me, not inside. and my negative thoughts are triggered by being forced to interact with the world, either by having to get up or having to drive or having to interact with my children. watching TV and sleeping, no problem, everything is cool. i figure my jollies-returned-for-pleasurable-activity switch is stuck and am counting on wellbutrin to inhibit the re-uptake of my feel-goods so i can return to the life that i enjoy. not that i dont have periods of low self-esteem, this just doesnt seem to relate to my current extreme apathy, which, btw, has been going on for over a month now. any thoughts?

Reading this thread: