Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,667 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Panic Free Since Aug. 25th 2010 Update From Shari

12 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Josie,

Thank you for your kind words.  I appreciate you more than you know.

God Bless, Shari
12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shari,

This is a success story! Using the program and being active about your progress, you have disappointed no-one!  Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and story with us. You are on a great and positive path!

Awesome!

Josie, Health Educator
In previous posts, I've been trying to find myself.  When my daughter left for college, I was lost.  I was able to get over empty nest syndrome by using the Tool Box Auxiliary Session 15:  Role Transitions.  There's a great quote, "It isn't what you have or who you are or where you are or what you're doing that makes you happy or unhappy.  It's what you think about."  I've also learned that people treat you the way you allow them to treat you.  I may have stayed in my marriage, previously, for security, but I'm in it now, because I'm choosing to stay.  As much as I know I can leave and find freedom, I can also have freedom, and find happiness, within the marriage and make the best of the situation.  I can still go on vacation, go out to eat, have friends, volunteer, work and/or go to school.  It's not a fear based decision; it's what's right for me.  My husband keeps to himself and has money control issues, he's working on improving, somewhat.  There's a lot that could be worse and it could be better, but life isn't the movies and that's why there are romance novels :)  So, I'm at peace with my decision and I have no regrets.  I hope I haven't disappointed anyone, but I have to be true to myself.  Thanks for listening.

Shari     
Thanks Jaybe, 

I'm with you, the exposure comment was just a joke.  It was a long week with the quake, tornado warnings, and hurricane, three days in a row with no break in between.  I'm glad you're okay too. Thanks Hugs4U, Vincenza and everyone.

Shari
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Exposure works two ways depending on perception. One is by building a tolerance to an irritant. This is not the greatest because you will always have the irritant. The other is by showing that the irritant doesn't have to be. This is perception. The latter is preferred because it takes the power away from the irritant and gives it back to you. 
Notice how the process is the same physically but not mentally. A fine line as far as difference, but what a difference. One controls, the other cures.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So the idea is to educate oneself over a period of time, by learning, at one's pace and slightly "discomfort" level, what one is afraid of.  This is also called "desensitization", but I don't like that term, since it's judgemental, isn't it?
12 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

you are right davit,  I was just being sarcastic, I  know it really wasn't exposure work because i didn't hang around for the quake, it just happened.  It has been a long week here an earthquake and hurricane all in the same week.  jaybe

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi people.

I hate to be the barer of bad news but getting caught by an earthquake is not exposure. Terror yes anxiety and panic yes but not exposure. Staying in the areas when hurricane Irene goes through is. Can you see the difference. You have to expose yourself to it. (planned) Not get caught by it. Dealing with your kids or co workers is exposure, getting mugged is not unless you intended to get mugged and went looking for it.
Still getting caught in an earthquake is a frightening thing. I know, I live between two mountain ranges. That if you stretch the imagination could be considered exposure.
Just so you don't have the wrong idea about how to do exposure. Exposure works by being repetitive. Bit hard to do that with an earthquake.
The other thing with exposure is it has to have an escape some how so that doing it is your choice. EG. Riding a bus, you can get off before your stop, or choose not to get on. Same for elevators or trains. See the posts on doing these two.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 57 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
wow shari!  I felt minor affects from the earthquake, but not to that extent.  you are really brave. My house shook a little and a light swayed and that was enough to send me into a panic, that was really exposure therapy!  I an really nervous about hurricane Irene, I have been panic free for a couple months now, hope all goes well for the weekend    jaybe
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Holy smokes Shari!  Glad you are o.k.  We just had a wicked thunder and lightening storm last night, that was scary enough.

Sunny

Reading this thread: