Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,576 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RREYES, TBACARO, RMUEGA, LARISTOTELES, DeeTart

I really have got to get better control!

12 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Flint,

You make a very good point.  Please talk to your doctor before making any decisions.  Also, members please refrain from giving medical advice.  It is ok to give share your experiences but medical information should be given by doctors only.

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bren,

Sounds like you have a good action plan. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Hi Davit,

In response to your post:

The information I listed was obtained from two different psychiatrists and is in a book I own titled Stopping Anxiety Medication - Therapist Guide. It's also what you'll find on any "credible" website.

All of the benzos commonly prescribed for anxiety and panic (Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Valium) can be physically addictive if taken regularly for a period of several weeks or more. This is why doctors are so reluctant to prescribe them for longer than that, if you need to take them frequently. Benzos are usually prescribed on a short term or as-needed basis for acute anxiety situations. If it's determined that the anxiety and/or panic will last longer than a few weeks, therapy (usually CBT) and/or other medication (usually antidepressants) may be recommended.

Half-life -- the time it takes for half of it to decay or breakdown -- doesn't directly equate to how long the effect of the medication will last. The actual effect of any benzo will vary from person to person depending on various factors including half life, health of the individual, dosage, and frequency of dosage.

In general, the longer the half life, the longer the effect. For me the actual effect of the benzos I've tried (Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Valium) lasted from 3-6 hours and took around 15-30 minutes to start feeling the effect.

Of course, there are always exceptions since people respond differently to medications and have varying predispositions towards addiction.

Davit, I agree that any medical information provided here should be discussed with a doctor or healthcare provider. While I do believe that the information I've provided is correct because I've obtained it from what I consider to be credible sources, it certainly shouldn't be considered valid for anyone else until they've validated it for themselves.

I think it's fine if we agree to disagree on this one. Even more reason why it's best for people to check with your doctor before making any decisions.

Take care,
Flint

12 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thank you davit..i plan to ask tomarrow for valium or zanax, i hope she will agree..
bren

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bren

Keep in mind when asking your doctor for medication that they tend to give the latest and strongest because so many of the people they see are there because they have been on meds a long time and they just are not working. 
How I would do it and this is just me is I would ask for a different benzo starting with the oldest and mildest. I personally don't think you need the newer stronger ones you just need something that lasts longer than Ativan and doesn't rebound as bad. 
Still it is up to your doctor. He/she may disagree only the two of you can know how much anxiety dampening you need. 
There are also anti anxiety drugs that are not benzos. 
Most people here will tell you it took a bit of trial and error before they found what works.

I only want the best for you.
Davit.
Flint

Where did you get your information on half life? Ativan does not have a long half life. I know the internet says it does but it is wrong. It also says it is addictive and it is not. It also says that it can be in your system a long time. Elimination depends on health condition. If you are half dead with barely functioning kidneys and liver then the elimination time will be longer and it can be toxic over time. This is true for any drug. this is why it is important that your doctor knows what you are doing with your meds.

I was on maximum dose of Ativan for four years and not once did it cover twenty four hours. It stopped panic attacks but it never prevented them. There was always a period when I was susceptible. This cycling nearly drove me over the deep end.

Valium is a far safer drug without the cycling and it can be stopped or missed without the same rebound effect of some of the other drugs. (personal experience) I have been on valium twice for a one year period. Once in my early twenties and once in my fifties. Both times I did not have to taper off. I just forgot to take it because I no longer needed it. No horrid side effects. I could not get off the ativan, I had to switch to valium and again it was not an intentional taper, I just forgot to take it. This sounds like addiction but it is not chemical it is mental. That is the difference between addition and dependence. Both are the same family, why would one be addictive and the other not?

Since Ativan is not time release it only stands to reason that the quicker it is in the quicker it is out.

It is debatable if taking a benzo only every second day will prevent dependance but I have heard this from a doctor also. It contradicts other theories. Personally I come from a place called "prove it". Personally I don't believe everything I read and I find the internet bad for people following each other saying the same thing. But it is good for a start in a search for information. Doctors and therapists are a better source of information, but get a second opinion because they can be wrong too. Over all you are still the best source of what works for you with input from your doctor so you can not get into too much trouble.

Some people do well on Ativan some do horrible, it is probably more to do with attitude than half life.

One thing I do not want to do here is give the impression drugs are deadly, they are perfectly okay if used appropriately and for most of us that is too complicated to be doing on our own.

Remember everything said here is for information only. Especially coming from me. But know I do research and cross reference every thing I say.

One last thing. CBT does work and if done diligently a person should be able to get off drugs or at least down to a minimum. (used only for very traumatic things that tend to creep up in our lives, mostly as we age)

Davit.

Ps. One final thing, some drugs break down into other drugs and some of these stay in your system a long time even though they may have no therapeutic effect they may be included in the half life. This I do not know for definite though. One other thing, if you are taking other medication being broken down at the same place in your liver then one may be slow to aliminate. Make sure your doctor know every drug you take even OTCs. 
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bren,

This is a good question but one that only your doctor can answer.  Inform him of all the strange side
effects you have been experiencing.  It is a good idea to write these down so that you don't forget any
during your next appointment.  She/He should be able to inform you of the pros and cons of alternative medications
that may benefit you.

Regards, 

Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ok..so would it be better for me to ask for valuim or zanax???
I think iam understanding,i need something that will last longer..right?
You seem to know much more about all this than i do! and thats good..iam a novice..
bren

12 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bren,

It's possible that skipping Ativan for a day could cause nausea as a withdrawal symptom, but really only if you've been taking it regularly (more than every few days or so) over a period of several weeks. Taking any benzo regularly over a period of several weeks can result in addiction and withdrawal symptoms if you skip doses.

If this isn't the case, it may have been anxiety that was causing the nausea. If it persists, I'd talk to your doctor about it. 

FYI, Ativan (lorazepam) has a half life of 10-20 hours.

The half life of other common benzos:
- Xanax (alprazolam) - 6-12 hours
- Klonopin (clonazepam) - 18-50 hours
- Valium (diazepam) - 20 -100 or 36-200 hours if you count the active metabolites

Take care,
Flint

12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bren,

I'm glad you treated yourself to a massage but am sorry to hear that you're not feeling well today.
It's good to drink lots of water and even take long Epsom salt baths after a massage in order to flush the toxins
from your body.  When is the last time you had a massage?
It's hard to say what may have caused you to feel so nauseous.  Davit made some great points to consider.

Have you worked with CBT?  What have you found helpful in the past?

Vincenza, Health Educator
Bren.

It could be the Ativan. But it is not because your body needs it so much as want it. Ativan has a one hour half life and is out of your system in four. For what it is designed for it is great. Namely to break the cycle long enough for you to get back on track. This is why it is prescribed wrongly for sleep. It will put you to sleep but not keep you there. You are supposed to be able to sleep on your own after the cycle is broken. This does not always happen. It should not be used for repetitive things, like sleep or bus rides. For this you need a slower working benzo with a longer half life. But for a plane ride or trip to the dentist it is preferred. See this way in four hours your body goes back to it's routine. It is good for a security blanket because you don't intend to take it anyway and you can feel bad and go back to your routine after if you have to. It also works fast. But if you start to use it regularly your body builds a pathway controlled by Ativan and wants to use it. Soon you can only feel comfortable using that path way. This is dependence, not addiction but you can still get withdrawal symptoms. 
Agitation, headaches, nausea and fatigue being the most common. And of course the best way to get rid of this according to your body is to take another Ativan.
You don't get this rebound with Valium or Xanax etc. because they have a longer half life and are actually milder.  Fifteen minutes average to work verses almost instant for Ativan.
This information is available through any therapist and is on the internet. I put it here so you don't have to look it up and will have something to take to the doctor if you feel you want to try something different instead of toughing it out. 
Again I have to state that medication is only an adjunct to help you. It will not cure you. CBT will but often it needs the medication with it till it works. Medication will keep you stable but only as long as you take it.

On the subject of drinking water. Urine should be close to clear, if it is not then you are not drinking enough water. Also it does not have to be water only, it can be tea or juice but juices can contribute to weight gain. Solids in the water are removed elsewhere.
Excessive plain water makes me nauseous and should not be done with meals because it dilutes digestion to a certain extent. For me it is best to sip the water often rather than gulp it.
I wonder how others do this.

One other thing is over-vigilance. The tendency for us with any PD to look for causes for every symptom. Some times we are the way we are just because we are. Unless it is life threatening best to treat the symptoms only and ignore it. S..t happens. Tomorrow is another day.

Sunny is amazingly good at looking at the positive, it keeps her from going to the negative and panicking. I'm not so good at this I have to admit. She also has relaxation techniques down better than me. This has shown me that although I am good and can function I can be better. 

CBT does work, it works very well for us but it is on going and it takes time.

Davit.

Reading this thread: