Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

I did it!!!

13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everone,
I received my books yesterday, started "From Panic to Power" last night.....Maggie,I see what you meant.
I'm only half way through, but have really enjoyed her philosophy on how we can turn our negative energies into positivity, and how instead of hoping to return to our pre-anxiety state we should be looking forward to be being someone new, with even more control and power.I can hardly wait toget back into tonight,..after the Idol ofcourse! ha
the first highlighted afirmation that really resonated with me is"your anxiety is under your control.You created the negative thoughts, therefore, you can stop them." True. Hard, but true. I'll let youknow what I think of the rest of the book later.
Juanita
13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Davit and Sunny123 ... love the new avatar pics

Your explanation of the fight or flight reactions is clarifying Davit.  Makes a lot of sense and I do feel less weird about the whole thing. I'm proud to be an orange Ha!

I like my candle too... I do feel hopeful everytime I see it and have to think about do I want to be the negative wind that blows it out... that kind of stops me in my tracks... causes me to take a deep breath in and very gently let it out.   And then I'm good to go again for awhile.

Thanks for the encouragement and support.  It is very much appreciated (and helpful!)
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi m:  just to say that I thought of your candle like that too - a light in the darkness - warm and inviting, safe.

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
~m

You are taking fight or flight to literal. Lets break it down because if you take it literal it is going to exclude a lot of people and since more women than men suffer it is either wrong or there is an explanation. And there is. We all react differently. Under the fight side are such things as tensing up in preparation, anger, yelling, thrashing out, at one self or others. Any thing to release the fight or flight from its obligation so it can shut down. Anger works good but we are taught that it is not appropriate. (by ourselves or others, core belief) Yet it is appropriate to feel emotions and let them go. (as long as they are not consistent and done deliberate) You can break all these words down into related words too.
On the flight side would be freezing if that works for you. A rabbit comes to mind. It relies on being still and its colouring as protection. But pushed hard enough it would run. And for it most of the time it works. If as a child you learned avoidance and hiding work then that is what you will do. Especially if you learn as some do in school that it is better to take a beating than fight.
I think if we put it to the forum you would find that most freeze first and only run as a last recourse and only if they can. This is why those that fear driving fear it so much. Some fear that they will freeze and get in an accident or black out.

Fight or flight is just a name for a survival technique. What ever you do during a panic attack fits it.

~m you are not weird, just a bit unique. I like unique, I am unique too. (an orange)
I never mentioned it but right from the start I thought your candle represented hope. A little bit of light in a sea of darkness. A little hope to fight the despair with. Hang in there, your candle will burn brighter and remove all this darkness. It just takes time.

Here for you,
Davit

13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I react to DANGER in a way different than explained and am wondering if anyone else does this... the flight or fight response doesn't happen.  My primary response to imminent danger is to freeze.  My therapist says that children of abuse... being helpless at the time.... learn that they can't do either.... fight or flee.... so they freeze.  This is especially true for women who have a tendency to "befriend" or "attend to" a threat.  Most models of panic seem to be based on a male response.  If we are talking about instinct... this rings true for me, but I've never talked about it much... just figured I was weird even in my weirdness... if you catch my drift (how's that for a play on snow AND word meaning?). 
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been surfing the internet and have found something disturbing. It is the interchange of anxiety and panic especially as in attacks or disorders. The brain has this lovely ability to look at the context of a sentence when a word is used to know it's meaning since the same word can mean more than one thing. Snow as some thing to ski on and snow a very addictive white powder or snow as to fool some one. It takes a pretty good computer to do this, most can't. Your brain may be slower but it really is smarter and only limited by the information stored there. Same as your computer only slower.
 Where is this going? I think every one should revue Peter the Experts post on the difference between panic and anxiety so you will know when the two are incorrectly being interchanged. It will lessen the confusion and make it easier to understand what people are really saying when they interchange these two words, because they do. It is a long post this post of his but worth it. The cure for both disorders is pretty much the same, I just like to keep the meanings meaning what they mean.

Here for you,
Davit.
13 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you everyone for all your support. Those who ordered the book please let me know what you think once your done reading it. One thing I love about Lucinda Bassett is that she has experience in this. She has recovered from this. Also, when reading her book From Panic to Power highlight all the positive statements and when you feel something coming open the book and read your highlighted section. I have read this book twice!

Samantha, there is no specific section on the program to be honest it's just everything about the program that is great. I am still on the program. I am taking my time with it. Not rushing through it.

Davit yes the crowds were a big thing for me but I just focused on us my husband and my kids. I enjoyed the present moment. That helped me a lot.

Sometimes we need to remember that the feelings of excitement are the same of anxiety. When we are excited about something our hearts race fast we start to sweat etc..we just have to sometimes look at our anxieties as excitement and not fear!

I am working really hard at not allowing my body symptoms to scare me it's HARD but as I sit back and think of how many things I did not enjoy or I did not do because of my panic attacks it's been time wasted..

Hope to hear from you all soon..xoxo

13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi girls,
I just ordered that book too from Amazon, and I got another one of hers to save shipping costs. Its called Life without Limits ..I'm looking forward to reading it also...
Juanita
13 years ago 0 152 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Maggie,

Just want to say congratulations on accomplishing this wonderful trip with your family, many happy memories for you.
I just bought the book you suggested on ebay and am looking forward to reading it.

Your friend
Debi
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Maggie,

I too remember you talking about wanting to take your kids to Disneyworld..Congratulations on your successful  trip with your children..I am so proud of you. Thanks for your tip on the book also. I will have to take a look at it. I also want to thank you for sharing your story with us all here. I am sure you have inspired many who read the posts here.. I know you have inspired me..

Red

Reading this thread: