Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

What did you learn today?

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Contractors like to talk, and exaggerate. Today my broth set off a fire alarm, so I calculated the clearance of the kitchen, with the adjacent bathroom fan. I figured that the fan would clear both kitchen and bath in 14 hours, based on it being a standard 100 CFM fan, with the room capacity being 1400 cubic feet. Then I learned I could remove the cupboards, stove, fridge, but that would still be 1000 cubic feet, meaning it would take 10 hours. I think he meant to say it would take the powder room which is 240 square feet, would take 20 minutes. Unless that fan is a superfan(and it should be based on how much I paid for the renovation), the guy was just talking out of his behind.
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today I learned what I already knew. It is from a storey on the radio about a man with panic attacks and phobias. 
It is simply that if you try to bend the parameters to your liking that what you want to do won't work. There are rules for reasons. Changing them changes what they can do and therefore making what you try to do not work. Medication works because you have no control over how it works other than when to take it, so you can screw that up too. People are their own worst enemies.

I am cured because I changed, not everything around me. It is still the same with the same potentials for good or bad. I see it all different now. Not everyone can do that and often simply because they don't want to.

Davit.
Today I learned I could increase humidity around a small indoor vase of roses by placing it in the kitchen sink. I measured the spots in the home, and found that the humidity is highest there, and it's cooler than outside the sink. It's the best I can do without putting a lot of effort. I thought of creating a spray, like the ones in the veggie section of the grocery store, and can do that pretty easily using a strainer, in the sink, and letting the water drip over a period, like the night. I even have an old cool mist humidifier if I wanted, but it probably uses a lot a power, since it's so old. I wanted to increase the humidity since the American Rose Society states that indoor miniature roses need about 50 % humidity. I can spritz it during the day, but the night is a challenge.
I learned today that people do not believe a person can have a room mate and not have sex with her. 
I learned today that I do not like it cold anymore. It is very cold. 

Davit
Before I see my doc, I keep track of things that concern me for the session, like how much sleep, tv I have. Today I learned that my spreadsheet keeps track of the number of rows, and the average, and the sum, if I just hightlight the rows, instead of my having to count the rows!
I cooked a sweet potato sheppard pie, and learned something about "safe temperatures" for cooking. At 165 degrees, meats are actually cooking at 100 degrees centigrade, which means the boiling point. Now I understand that the temperature kills bacteria, but not before I made the conversion from Fahrenheit.
Hi Davit, I liked that water bottle trick, and it's not as messy at all!
I learned today that there is a cab air filter on my car that the mice might have ate a hole through, letting them into the car.
Bummer. I ordered a new one since I have never changed it.

Learned about two ingredient cookies too. And how to separate eggs with a water bottle. (youtube) Neat trick.

Davit
I spent 28 dollars for two canisters of fine spray, to deal with dry eye. At a dollar store, I bought a spray bottle for little over a dollar, which does the same, using tap water. It pays to shop.
Today I read that an Australian study says we lose 22 minutes of life for every sedentary hour seated!

Reading this thread: