Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,576 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RREYES, TBACARO, RMUEGA, LARISTOTELES, DeeTart

get on a plane...what a challenge!

13 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lenchen,

Exposure therapy helps!  As Ashley said use session 4 to begin your exposure and take it one step at a time. Check on line or with the airline for flying assistance, some airlines do have classes to help with the flight.  This will help you assess your situation and work towards progress.

What are you hoping to get out this?

Are you planning on continued travel without panic?
Are you looking forward to combating those feelings?
You said you wanted to see other places, this is a great goal!

Reach within and set a goal and step by step you can reach it.

We are all here for you, so post your progress with us!

Josie, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lenchen:  What you are experiencing is a lot of anticipatory anxiety - lots of thinking about what if's, what might happen as opposed to just enjoying the experience.  When the negative thought about the flight comes to you, replace it with a positive thought such as, "what a beautiful trip I will have.  I can't wait to see new and interesting things, new people, new culture". Pls. try the relaxation and breathing exercises, practice, practice, practice every day.  I'm glad you will be seeing a doctor.  Maybe he/she can explain to you what you are going through and be supportive and understanding.  As you write, you have flown before and did very well.  You can do it!  Cheering for you,
Your friend,
Sunny
13 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you at first for you support and give me some tips Davit and Sunny. That helps more than I can say. The Problem is the more I think about it, the more bad thoughts come over. Then I said to myself you come the whole journey from Germany up over here, so there will nothing bad happen, but then I become anxiety that I never can go back to Germany. And today is a really bad day...I´m in a bad mood and think a lot about going home back earlier. I´m not sure if I can deal with that without beeing at home. To know that there exist some medication is good. I will consult the doctor tomorrow, I hope I get an appointment befor my flight.
Hopefully I´m feeling better the next days. Asley, what did you mean with your question!?
It´s good to know you all...thank you for helping me!!!!

Yours Lenchen

13 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lenchen,

Take a look on Session 4 on Exposure work.  Generally it is recommneded to increase exposure fear level gradually; however, with each exposure there is learning that takes place.  No matter what you do, know that when you go on the plane you are really pushing yourself.  This trip will be a big exposure so feel proud of yourself no matter what the outcome is.  As long as you try to look at this experience in a positive light and try to find learning in this experience I think it will be a great chance to grow!

What are you hoping to get out of this situation?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lenchen 

Let me echo sunny. If it was me I would take an Ativan 15 minutes before the flight and enjoy the flight. It is better to build a positive belief about flying right now and do exposure at some later date. This is what medication is for and is not abuse. Enjoy your trip. I bet we all wish we were going. Also you can take Gravol and Ativan together.

Here for you
Davit.
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lenchen:  Last fall when I was experiencing generalized anxiety, I took a plane to my destination.  I don't like flying, but it has never stopped me, I can still do it.  When I felt the anxiety coming on the plane, I did the deep breathing and box breathing exercises and it subsided.  Also, any relaxation technique that you have practiced can be done on the plane.  Some people take a mild tranquillizer before or during the flight which I think is o.k. as it is a one-time occasion and not abuse of tranquillizers.  Do you have a doctor you can see?  Be open and honest with him and explain the situation.  Before the flight I practiced my relaxation and breathing techniques every day and night for about two wks. and that helped calm the anticipatory anxiety.  Remember too, that the excitement of the new adventure, travelling and sightseeing can make you have some of the same symptoms as anxiety, but these are good, positive symptoms because you are excited about the trip.  Hope this can help you in some way,
Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,
I just started this program 2 weeks ago and I think I´m doing well. For the people who doesn´t read my introduction, I´m a german girl who spend an exchange semester in Australia. I almost finished session 2 and try to challenge my negative thoughts. And it works quite well. I challenge two bad thoughts this day, one in the bus this morning and one at the Uni both of them with alternative thoughts. I´m a little bit proud of me   I also started with my goals this week, I go for a run on sunday and yesterday I went to a yoga class. 
But what really scares me, is my trip to Sydney next week. For this I have to go on a plane. I have already booked the flight. For this reason I try to finished a advanced negative thought form, but I can´t find a really good answer to any of the 10 questions or an alternative thought for this event!? Did somebody have experience with situations like that or can give me a tip how I can come through the situations in a plane!? I only stay in Australia for 5 months and want to see some other places, make some experience on my own I know it is a bit to soon, to make so much pressure on my own...
I hope perhaps some of you have good ideas!

Reading this thread: