Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,656 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA, PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS

Fear of dying!

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Moochela, Session three of the panic program will teach you how to challenge your anxious thoughts. There is also additional tips on how to do this under the helpful tips section of your session diary. What I mean by feeding into them: instead of continuing to dwell on this thought and becoming more anxious as a result, try to challenge the thought and move on. Hope this helps. Danielle _____________________ The PC Support Team
17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Isabella, It is difficult. But you will notice, the more you do it, whether it's 20 times a day or 1, you will be bored with it. Remember do it for about 10 minutes at a time. If your mind wonders(and it will) pull it back to your visualization. I think everyone's magic number with how many times they do it before their anxiety drops is different.
17 years ago 0 207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am going to give that a try but I do get really anxious when I visualize my death and this makes it really hard to do. Good idea though. I have heard that visualizing horrible events that you fear helps to desensitize you to them so maybe this will work at helping to ease my terrible phobia of dying. Anything is worth a shot. Thanks! ~Isabella~
This is what I have done to challenge the death/dying fear. I completely write or say out loud my death(usually when I'm jogging. I start with how? What exactly happened to cause my death? Visualizing while saying who was there, what happened how did I look what did people say etc? I do this all the way through to the funeral. Thinking and visualizing and saying all the details I can come up with. Who,what,when,where in detail, this is the key. Sometimes I phrase it like a 'reporter' covering a story. It seems morbid, but it works for me. I try and do this with most of my upsetting thoughts. The key to obscessive thoughts is not to avoid or ruminate about them, that gives them power. But to go ahead and think them at specific times (ie scheduling worry time), not throughout the day. That is the compulsion, when we ruminate. This is what drives our anxiety up.
17 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Danielle Could you be a little bit more specific about how to challenge death thoughts? And what do you mean "feeding into them"? How can I use the programme exactly?
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, Lots of interesting discussion in this thread! Keep it coming! This is an issue that many struggle with. Because it is unlike other phobias and we are unable to engage in exposure therapy, it's important to challenge the anxiety we associate with death as oppose to feeding into it. Please be sure to utilize the program to help you begin working on this anxiety trigger. Danielle ______________________ The PC Support Team
17 years ago 0 44 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For me my fear of death is usually when I am aware of tension in my body, then the thoughts come, oh I might die, how sad and like Isabella I don't like to die young though I am middle aged now. I had this fear of dying for many years though. I've thought through why I don't want to die young. To me, my faulty thinking is that to get sick and die young say before 70 is a sign of weekness, that I am a failure and I imagine the sorts of unpleasant things people and my relatives would say about me and my death. I am a very sensitive person and I get hurt by unkind looks and words. Similarly, I hate to have these thoughts of dying in the public, usually when I am aware of tension, so I think oh what happens if I have a heart attack etc. Now in public it usually again is a silly notion that if I collapse, no one will help me and they will just look at me and laugh or walk away and not assist and so I could probably die. I have this feeling cos people are less helpful and kind these days, the world seems to be such an unpleasant place to be if one is ill or not young and not fit especially in the big cities. I am not entirely religious and have not many people around me for moral support. So in a way I tend not to let go easily and am hypervigilant as I am too ashamed to die young. Silly I know from a logical level, but how do I convince my subconsious which has been hurt to let go. The other silly thing is that I sometimes wonder what if the doctors mistook one to be dead as I am not too trusting of some doctor's competency, and then you are buried or cremated. I just try not to think about this last one as that really scares me. As I said earlier on , when I relax these thoughts don't come that often or if they do, they don't get me too low, and sometimes just not giving these thoughts too much time, helps as well. Having said that there is obviously sometime at a subconsious level that is sad and hence not willing to let go hence causing unnessary anxiety. :)
17 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Isabella, we anxious people have quite imaginitive minds dont we? When we imagain things it is usually in great detail!And that is why we get all freaked out and scared. At least that is what i do. Before you logically can say, im young, what are the chances,your imagination takes off!! I do the same thing, and yes it makes me cry to think of my son without a mother. Mabey as soon as you start thinking about death, think of yourself as an old lady. ha ha, thats what i try to do. That way im not thinking of myself dying prematurely, because im old and wrinkled! Sounds dumb, but i hope i helped a little
My fearfull thoughts are not necessarily about dying. But hurting myself or someone I love. My thoughts bring up any number of ways or circumstances to cause the death of myself, it's strange, but I can be watching a show or see something and I turn it, twist it and reorganize it to see how i can make it threatening. Does this make sense to anyone. For example, I got in the cabinet of meds to take my vitamins, b12 and wellbutrin and immediately I visioned swallowing the whole bottle. Well of course I had immediate panic/anxiety. I began thinking about that visulaization most of the day. So how do we get past these scary thoughts/visions? I came upon an OCD sight that describe these thoughts perfectly. The treatment is to make time for these thoughts purposely. It is sort of a paradigm. The more you try not to think it the more anxious you get from it. So what I do is 'schedule' worry time. Let's say I come to work at 7:00 but feel really anxious about something, I will say fine, at 10:00 I will spend time to obscess about that. When it becomes 10:00 then completely obscess for at least 10 minutes over your topic of distress. Then let it go, if it persists then 'schedule' another time. If you go past 10:00 and it's noon. YEA for YOU. Keep holding it off and not ruminating about it is the key. It's the avoidance which causes the anxiety because it (the thought) must be a threat because you don't want to acknowledge it.? I don't know all the answers, I'm just sharing the worrry time to help. If they are really bothersome schedule it or write it by saying it over and over 10 minutes straight. IT helps, our minds get bored with the thought and presto, no anxiety.
17 years ago 0 207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Moochela, I am like you and all the others. My ultimate, recurring fear is dying prematurely. It scares me so much and I worry about it every single day. I worry that I am going to die and not get to be there for my son and see him grow up. Just the thought makes me cry to think that he would grow up without his mom and I would miss out on everything. I just have this feeling all the time that I am going to die young and I can't seem to shake it. I am happy you posted this because this has been on my mind for soooo long. If someone mentions death, if a trajedy occurs, if I am watching TV and the show/movie has something about death I have to change the channel, change the topic, walk away from it because it arouses so much anxiety and panic. And maybe I am not so much afraid of death itself but the process in dying and the feelings associated with knowing you are about to die. I fear being really scared and knowing that I will soon be dead. This sounds crazy and irrational but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about it. And like the others, if I am away from home(my safe place) and begin to panic I feel like I need to hurry up and get home so I won't die. Sometimes I will be driving and then realize the threat of a car accident and feel like I need to get home ASAP before that happens. It is ridiculous and crazy but I can't seem to shake it or come to terms with the fact that I will die one day and I just don't want to die young because of my son. Yet I spend my days worrying instead of fully enjoying life, what a waste!! Let me know if you learn how to overcome this because it is consuming me most days. Thanks for letting me vent! ~Isabella~

Reading this thread: