Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

My Fears & Anxious Thoughts...

13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to say I think people with disabling illness do have to try harder than you average person...I base this opinion on the fact that I used to work in health care doing private duty nursing..I have seen how hard people have to work at doing simple things that the rest of us take for granted..Like getting from point A to point B just to use the restroom, or just get up and out of bed in the morning, or trying to fix a basic meal, or shower and shave...Doing the basic things in life is much harder and this can lead to all kinds of frustration, not to mention anxiety and panic....
Getting through a day takes a lot of determination especially when faced with a disabling illness....

Red....
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Being that this is a support group for CBT and not like many of the other social web sites on the internet..I find that it is very difficult to express myself and my feeling in little snippets and bite-size writing. I guess it may be easier for others to read, process and take in if I was able to do this..even though it would not be as therapeutic for me..

Red...
13 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,
By the way, I like the tractor, and "nothing runs like a ...." (you know what).

I sense the pride you have on that "cool" machine, so don't think I don't feel your sense of accomplishment.  Whatever the mood, email and correspondence is hard to read into, at the best of times.

I liked what Sunny said....
Davit,
On a CBT note, what makes you "mind read" thinking you "try harder", and your condition is worse?

"Jumping to conclusions" is similar - see my point?  Look at Guy's posting that inspirational story.  I don't see that family quoted "comparing themselves?

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit:  You're still handsome and cute.  Remember that pic you posted when you were around 2 yrs. old?  You haven't changed a bit. 

Your friend, Sunny 

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I forgot to mention, if you look at my picture you can see the short neck, crippled hands and permanent Picc line in my right arm. You can also see the determination in my face. I refuse to let my life get the better of me. At one time I did. My therapist convinced me I had lots to share and a reason not to give in. Lord know some days I want to.

Davit.
I have spinal deterioration in my neck, and use a lap top. A macbook pro with track pad instead of mouse, I use it with a pillow behind my head and sit in my electronic chair. I also have Victoria. A computer voice that can read for me and talk to me. She also does voice commands. Like page up or page down. You might say I'm spoiled. But not really. I have arthritis and believe where there is a will there is a way.  I also have keyboard short cuts, one of them being zoom in or out. I'm also a two finger typer since  my right hand has only one finger and thumb that work and my left has some broken tendons also. I was also totally computer illiterate two years ago. I believe you can do anything if you try hard enough and it is even remotely within your capability.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I just try harder. 

Davit.

Davit - regarding trying to look at posting:

What I didn’t say, and would have helped is that I was using a laptop, and once writing goes over several lines, it prolongs the time I need to crane my neck on a sharp angle, and I have a problem with my neck. I have to tweak my laptop and its placement on an old computer table. I’ll have to see a physical therapist  Tuesday about the conditions in my shoulder and too much mousing, posture, etc.

I’m aware of the contact “form”, but I didn't use it, since only the reading members can volunteer to make such a change, and others  may just mirror the format of the those who wish to be understood.   There are many people who just ignore all the great guidelines too, and that can be okay too. 
The skilled facilitators have a difficult job coaching, since we’re at different stages. I’m afraid I just skip some of the longer posts, since it hurts my neck, but I’ve taught myself to use another monitor to alleviate that now! That was satisfying because it’s just one of those things I felt I had to do, and did.

What's important is the "teachable moment", and it seemed appropriate to me.

Loss of focus is part of our “condition” and why we’re on this site too, isn’t it? So it follows, that snippets, or bite-size writing is easier to process, or take in. 
Wish Red best of luck if I miss her posting!
Tiana

I am perfectly willing to explain myself better if some one doesn't understand me. I am willing to go to great length, all they have to do is ask. I think we all would. 
The written word can be very confusing to some one during an anxious state. That is just how it is. I think we should all be willing to explain ourselves better if need be. What good is information if even one person does not understand it.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations on taking that big step, Red! I'm sure you will be rewarded with some blossoming friendships because of that. Did that thought come to mind to help you give out your number? Or did you just decide to do it in the moment? I hope you are proud of youself- I am!

Thanks also for the input about the posts. You raise good points. I hope everyone can see both sides and find some middle ground moving forward. Every message and every person here has value so it would be a shame if some of that is getting lost. The forums are for sharing and supporting, and that will never change.

Keep up the good work!
Tiana, Health Educator

Reading this thread: