Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

My Fears & Anxious Thoughts...

13 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The discussion on feeling invisible is interesting.  I'm wondering what members have found helpful in making
the transition from feeling invisible to visible?

For example,  Hugs4u mentioned making an effort to participate instead of being a bystander.

What other tips would you offer?
When was a time in which you felt visible?  empowered?
Vincenza, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
`m,
the need for boundries could be an entirely new thread, since it is at the foundation of respect.  What do you think?
13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Being invisible is living in shame of who you are... it comes from the chaos and uncertainty of living in a home where no one listens and boundaries either don't exist or are never honored.  It is being trampled while no one notices and later no one even believes you were there.  
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Speaking of Carl Jung, has anyone taken the test.  For me it was very accurate.

Davit.

Red,

What being invisible means to me, is not having a connection or being “engaged”.

With being in touch now, as I get out more, I hope I don’t forget what it was like being lonely, as sad as that seems. Now I feel a pulse of being in touch with people, in more activities, and their excitement with their lives, or their passions. 

Being invisible meant I felt unimportant, but I had to make an effort to get involved with some things, so that, although I don’t have passions like some of the gifted people out there, who have hobbies, I do feel I’m participating in life instead of being a bystander.

I think that the term of developing visibility or one’s personality, was individuation, which came about, according to popular psychology(Carl Jung) from maturing.

13 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs4u,

This feeling I have of being "invisible" is very personal not something I feeling comfortable describing here in the forum..

What I can tell you is this feeling is connected to one of my negative core beliefs..

I learned in the sister site when studying negative core beliefs that there is not one single definition for these feeling, just like the thought of being unlovable for example..It is a persons personal definition that really matters...When dealing with your own negative core beliefs they are your own beliefs and assumptions only. You own them, they belong to you..

Once you identify them and there meaning to you than you can begin to challenge them one by one and replace them with positive thoughts about yourself, the world and the people in it....

I hope this answers your questions? If you have anymore questions about Core Beliefs you can find the answers in the sister site "The Depression Center"..Its listed under Core Beliefs in the toolbox sessions....You will find a more detailed explanation there..

Sid aka Red

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know that invisible feeling. Some times I felt so invisible I thought people would walk into me and was continually moving out of there way. Some times I wanted to be invisible so I didn't have to deal with the world around me.
Now look at me, Mr blabber mouth, out there for the whole world to see. No more invisible. Not really, it still happens some times, mostly when I'm tired.
Being anonymous is not the same. That one is intentional and decisional. 

Sid I was looking at all your fears and the common thread is control. Remember doing any of these things that seem to be out of your control are still your decision, putting the control back on you. Just more Agoraphobia and you know how to deal with that.

Here for you, 
your friend,
Davit.
~m and Red,
Can you describe the feeling of being "invisible" with more detail?

I think many others might feel the same way...I have to sleep on this to be clearer.  I know that with our anonymity on this site, we are less "real" to each other than in person, but there are tradeoffs?
13 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks ~m  for posting.
Its comforting to know that I am not the only one who feels this way...and your response to me helps and makes me feel less invisible.
Hopefully we both get this sorted out soon..

Your friend,
Red.
13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh dear, I do that too Sid/Red.  It hurts to feel invisible.  And then, instead of trying to make ourselves more visible, we go and erase what little of us is visible.  I used to keep a daily blog on the alcohol help sister site but kept deleting it ... sometimes when I felt too visible.... sometimes when I felt invisible.  Makes no logical sense.  There is definitely some negative core belief underlying this behavior.  Hopefully, I will get this sorted out soon.  It is very crazy making!

Reading this thread: