Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,684 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Strongyogi*, TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD

Hi I´m "Blueskies" and new to this

13 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Blueskies,
Having studied IT, I also had to work with techies, who weren't ask articulate as those on this site.  My problem with fitting in was that many techies, present company excepted as I stated, haven't any interpersonal skills.

What interests me is that the techies coming to this site are looking for that connection, and that is refreshing.

Good luck with the new person!
13 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I forgot to mention that I went to a new psychologist today and she was very underderstanding and nice. I will begin CBT on Monday and I was told that I will overcome this anxiety that it doesn't last forever. I can't wait to get rid of this and be myself again!!
13 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi cdnguy,

I totally get the not understanding IT people and how IT functions. Everyone seems to think things are done in a jiffy and don't understand the depth with certain issues or simple fixes. I find it actually quite cool that we are 3 IT people on this site. I also do believe that this field leads to high stress and anxiety...maybe more for the sensitive people. I have decided to get out of the field and I am searching for what I want to do. It brings me down to think that I'm already 30 years old and have to start everything all over again but I rather be happy and have less amounts of stress. I sometime think that I should probably switch to programming but I love being around people and the whole thing about being isolated in a room took its toll on me. 

Blueskies
Guy,
I heard an inspiring talk about how great people are only attempting to be themselves.  We seem to struggle trying to please others.

Ashley,
Thanks for responding to Red
Guy and Ashley,

Can you respond to Red(Sid)'s corrolary?  Her expection is not met under the discussion  "my fears and anxious thoughts".
13 years ago 0 56 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"Seriously, I've heard this sort of thing countless times. It gets to you. It got to me. Huh, I think I just discovered part of my problem. Trying to meet everyone's expectations no matter how unreasonable they are. "

This is a huge part of my problem too, CdnGuy. I realized it a little while ago and even though I thought I was assertive before I'm trying to work even harder at that now. And I'm making some big changes career-wise that I'm optimistic about.
Blueskies,
Having an optimistic signon name helps too!
13 years ago 0 89 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, software engineer and systems admin. Former web app developer and IT manager here! I wonder if there is a correlation between analytical thinking, IT work, and anxiety. I know that I didn't have near the issues I have with anxiety before working in IT. There are a lot of unreasonable expectations in that world. People seem to think all you do is push a 'fix it' button, so why isn't it working yet? People also seem to think that if you don't know everything about anything that is electronic at all, that you don't really know what you're doing. I don't understand why those expectations don't seem to get applied to many other fields.

Imagine this scenario with a gardener and her employer.
Person: "Hey gardener, you know about living stuff. Can you tell me what part of my gene sequence is responsible for my obesity."
Gardener: "Uh no.I just mostly deal with plants and trees."
Person: "Well you're supposed to know about living stuff, why don't you know that? What good are you? My cousin can look it up on Google and tell me for free. I don't need you anymore."

Sound ridiculous? Let me put it in IT terms for you.
Person: "Hey computer guy, can you tell me why my Blackberry won't connect with my home printer?"
IT Guy: "Uh no, I mostly deal with FreeBSD servers."
Person: "Well you're supposed to know all about technology, why don't you know that? What good are you? My cousin has his working with his printer. He can help me. I don't need you anymore."

Seriously, I've heard this sort of thing countless times. It gets to you. It got to me. Huh, I think I just discovered part of my problem. Trying to meet everyone's expectations no matter how unreasonable they are.

Blueskies, you're in good company here and the program and CBT is effective. You only lose the fight when you stop swinging. Keep swinging!
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome blueskies

The program does work even though it is free.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome blueskies,,

You're on the right track..Keep working of the positive like you are doing and you will be back to your old self in no time...

Sid

Reading this thread: