Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

avoided my fear....

11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kaitie

There are positive what ifs too, we just don't usually need to use them. Negative breeds negative so our what if's are usually negative. What if I don't need to panic. What if I'm wrong. etc etc. 

Try it, there is a positive what if for every negative one you can think of. If nothing else they get you to stop thinking the negative ones.

Davit.
11 years ago 0 177 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Adam,

Maybe you just weren't ready this time, and now you can be preparing yourself for next time to make sure you're ready :) Challenge those what-if thoughts, as loves tress has said.

Kaitie.

P.S. I have a lot of trouble with the what-ifs too, especially during a panic attack. Does anyone know how to deal with these?

11 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Adam,

Hello. We have not met yet. I first encountered CBT a few years ago and since then, have gotten better and better at noting negative thoughts and how they affect us. 

Since you posted yesterday, you may have already had new and different thoughts about this experience you had at the doctors. I notice in your post a "what if" - "what if this is a new norm". The what if-ing is where I have found CBT very helpful. 

Try not to be too hard on yourself. 
11 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Adam, 

Thank you for sharing this experience with us. We are definitely always here to listen. As Davit mentioned we can't change the past but we can definitely learn from our previous experiences and move forward and work toward improving this going forward. 

Samantha, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JustAdam.

As in most panic and anxiety cases you are building a fear on something you don't know for a fact. In actuality as you get better you will either lose this fear of having your blood pressure taken or as other people, some close to me with white coat syndrome have done, they just accept it as a fact and don't worry about it. This fear is very common. Even me who has no fear of doctors and hospitals and has to go at least once a month for tests has a high BP when the doctor takes it. We associate tests with diseases and just naturally get anxious when tests are done. And BP is a test also though not a marker for anything not fixable.
I treat it as ho hum. I know what it is at home and I know what it is when I'm anxious and some times it has been high.  Once so high I was not allowed to go home till it went down, which it did and I am fine. It is supposed to go up when you are anxious. It is only dangerous if it is very high and stays there. It is actually good to go up and down. That is why people exercise. 

The fact you are telling us you survived says you can do it again rather than that you can't. And actually when a person gets older they tend not to leave things to the last minute to avoid the pressure. Such a relief to just get it over and get on with things.

There is a saying here. "You can't change the past so it is only important as something to learn by, You don't know the future so it doesn't count till it happens. That only leaves the present. Learn from the past live in the present and let the future take care of itself."

Davit.
11 years ago 0 20 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello all

So I built up the nerve to go to my doctors yesterday for my biannual prescription refill.  I went a month earlier than I had to because the anticipation and anxiety has been slowly building as my remaining month of pills was running out.  

I started the morning with positive thinking and challenging my negative thoughts.  As I drove to the office the anxiety began...  I arrived at the office and while I sat in the waiting room I was able to do breathing exercises and the palpitation subsided.  However when I was called in the office my heart felt as if it was going to beat out of my chest.  I tried to tell myself this is the same feeling I experience when I work out nearly on a daily basis.  My doctor was in to see me in just a few short minutes.  I requested that he not take my blood pressure.  His response was  "sure I know your normally anxious so it will probably be high."  He refilled my prescriptions and I left.   

As I drove home I felt absolutely defeated as this was the first time I avoided this situation.  I did feel relieved that I was not told that my blood pressure was high.  I now fear that this may be the new norm and I will not be able to have it taken again.  Today I am still trying to accept the fact that I avoided the situation and move on from this.  

Just thought I would share.

Thanks for listening
Adam

Reading this thread: