Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,576 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RREYES, TBACARO, RMUEGA, LARISTOTELES, DeeTart

I just need some answers????

12 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Davit, Bren, Samantha,

Great thread and advice, especially for those of us here struggling with health issues and the physical disabilities, pain and anxiety as they relate to these issues...not to mention the issues that can come with the aging process....
I justed wanted to let you all know that I found this topic and your comments very helpful.....

Thank you for sharing,
Red.....

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bren.

I consider myself cured and my therapist considers me a success storey. Because I function very well in the world around me. Even with all my disabilities that can trigger panic I still function. That is the primary goal and for some the only goal. I also do it on almost no medication now, but it was not always that way. If there is a hell it can't be much worse than what I went through. See I did it without a program or friends to guide me. I also did it without SSRIs, because I can't take them. I now know that I can take Tricyclics instead and will for short periods of a few days if need be. I also still use valium when I have to but these periods are getting farther apart. I will one day need nothing but the use of CBT. And I will do it subconsciously which is as close to getting back to the normal that I once was a very long time ago.
You too can get there.
If the Celexa doesn't work then try another. If it makes you more anxious for those first two weeks then use the Xanax to compensate. But don't give up. A little pain now is worth the benefit in the long run. And don't be afraid to annoy your doctor for answers. You are in the dark and don't want to stay there. Post often so we can help you too.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have made my decision. i have a script for celexa, i will start that tonight.....
Yes,i am affraid..but i need to get myself together...
Bren
Davit..you are my friend here..and the fist one to welcome me to the site!
I do hope i get better!
I have really been thinking whats best for me right now..
A nurse also talked about buspar, has very little side effects,and works good too..
So..i have to make up my mind what iam going to try first..
I have tried so hard to go this without any meds, other than xanax or adivan..but i may need more help than that right now.
I have to start somewere....
Not come back here!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Iam here for good, maybe there will be a day i can help someone here too!!!
Bren

Bren.

One quarter of the population has some form of mental condition or disease. That is a lot and one has to wonder about it. I know it has always been around but this much? Maybe not. Maybe it is a product of our times. If so them maybe for some medication is necessary to give them that little edge in fighting the stress that seems to be constantly in our faces. I would much rather have had the help of medication but I'm one of the few who can not do certain medications. Mostly it is due to conflict with other meds for clearance in my liver. So it took me five years to do what I could have done in one. And I did find a medication I can use finally. 

SSRIs are not addictive. Seratonan is a chemical you normally have at just the right balance. Celexa job is to keep this balance. The first two weeks can be bad and if you have Xanax you might need it too till you adjust. It takes six weeks before full effect and may need to be adjusted. Those using it here on the site will tell you it has made it easier to do the program. CBT is still the answer but if you can't absorb it it will take a long time. Celexa is just an adjunct. Once you get control of the anxiety you can wean off the Celexa and just go with the CBT. 

You have the option of stopping the Celexa any time you and your doctor think you are no longer needing it. It is not like BP meds or Diabetic meds that you would take for life. What it is doing is correcting the chemical imbalance which gets that way because of the anxiety. Curing the anxiety will allow it to stay in check where it can control the anxiety. Having it out of balance causes anxiety which makes it more out of balance. Vicious circle. 

I think it is worth a try. My only fear is that you will feel so good we won't see you anymore.

Davit.
Davit..
Thanks for sharing!!!
Yes, your so right..i had a good talk with my sister today,and i cried alot too...We talked alot about starting anti depressant meds, one of my doctors, gave me celexa, my pt doctor gave me cymbalta  i have not started any one yet..but maybe its time i gave it another thought?
I am very hard on myself,i am a worrier, and that pushes me over into panic and anxiety...
Thanks Davit!!
Bren

Hi.

I missed a point. When you have done everything for the physical such as taking the recomended pain killers or medications then you have to set that aside. That only leaves the anxiety left and although it is related to the physical you really want to set it aside. The program is designed to deal with anxiety. And it will but adding thoughts of the physical on top makes it's job harder. I know it is almost impossible to forget the physical but one must try.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello bren,

I highly recommend re-visiting the program when you have the chance. Session 3 is all about challenging negativity, there you will find a bunch of great resources and also 10 questions to ask yourself when you have an anxious thought. On top of session 3 being a great resource, the other sessions of the program offer great strategies and recommendations. Continue to keep note of what you experience regarding medications so you can bring this up to your healthcare professional. Keep working hard and posting often.

Samantha, Health Educator
Brenda.

You could talk to your doctor about Buspar. It is a non addictive anti anxiety. I did ask my therapist if anyone was using it here. She can't tell me who but she said a few people were. With success. (instead of Xanax). I don't remember any side effects when I used it.

I had Sciatica for years, It was bad because my spine curves sideways a bit too. (scoliosis) Fortunately (I think) my spine fused and it doesn't bother me anymore although I can still get some muscle pain in my lower back. It doesn't last long. 

My thyroid might be out of wack a bit because I can't get back to my ideal weight. That bothers me. And I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. So I too have a lot to make me sad each day. On top of that the filler in some medications causes panic attacks in me.

So even though I am always going on about finding the root cause and dealing with it, in your's and mine that may not be possible. Which leaves us with just dealing with the symptoms instead of the cause. Not the ideal way to do things though. Still there is a lot that can be done starting with accepting that life will never be totally ideal. Then there are relaxation things. And coping things. I have to spend a lot of time saying tomorrow will be better when I lose a day (or two or three). I don't really know that tomorrow will be and if I am lying to myself. But still it is better to be optomistic. That for me is hard to do since I am a realist but it does help. I am aging prematurely but I find it more acceptable if I can enjoy each day as best as I can.

Davit.

PS. I have been dead on the table once so I guess each day is a bonus for me. I try to look at it that way at least.
Ok...I think that if i could get some answers to quistions i have,i would feel better..i think anyway..
I have the sciatica thing going on,and that scares me so bad!
Then..that will trigger my fear anxiety...
I have been in physical therapy for almost 2 months now,and they say iam doing better,and the knot in my hip is going down,but i still have the numbness and tingling down my left leg at times..
I also have hypothyroidism, and last month,my endo doctor increased my synthroid,so i dont know for sure what is triggering what???
I know,a few years back,i was put on a differant thyroid med,that i was not aware of at the time,and a couple months went by,and i was having severe panic attacks!!!!
After 9 long months,i changed doctors,found the endo iam going to,and he put me back on synthyroid,and i did not have anymore panic attacks at all!
Its also been a very stressful summer for me this year....and i dont want to live on xanax forever,but i feel i need something...
A lot of symptoms i am having,also go with hypothyroidism..my levels have been off for at least 2 months or more..i know that it takes time,and they will do another blood workup at the end of the month..
I had thought tomarrow i may stop by my endos office to talk to the nurse about some of the synptoms...not sure?
I also know i have a disc problem in my lower back..and that does scare me!!!
I dont want surgery,or those epidual injections!!!
I am so at loss on what to do??????????
I just want so bad to feel like myself again!!!!!!!!
I feel so desperate right now....I know..it only adds to the anxiety..
Bren

Reading this thread: