Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

My cat.

15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I feel silly for coming on here and writting this. I keep feeling as if I should be over this. But today on the 8th ( I have not gone to bed yet, to me it is still saturday...), it had been three months that my cat died. I felt like somehow I needed to commemorate this. I miss him a lot.
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva . Do like DM's idea of a special decorated box for Oscar . Your doing ok you know . ((Huggles))
Hi guys,

Thank you for all the kind replies :) I really appreciate it. I find saying goodbye very hard. I miss him a lot. Thanks for telling me it is ok for me to mourn. I find myself pressuring myself to get over myself, if you know what I mean. As for the box DM, it sounds like a good idea. I will try to find something nice. I feel anxious, very anxious at the idea of moving his things, but maybe by putting them in a pretty box it will help. Thanks again guys, it means a lot to me!
15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva

There is no normal when you're grieving and everyone does it differently.

An idea I thought of was a "Oscar Memory Box" or Time Capsule type idea.  You could get something really nice to put his things into and keep it somewhere nearby so that you can easily access it when you feel like visiting with him.  A box decorated on the outside with pics of him or ... well I don't know really ...anything that is important to you to remember him by.

This allows you to put painful things out of sight yet keep them for times when you want to be comforted by his memory. 

Be patient with yourself Diva... he was  a very important member of your family.

DM
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Diva,

Everybody experiences loss and grief differently, so I'm not too sure what's normal. I think its ok for you to take all of the time you need. Have you thought about slowly putting Oscars items away? I'm not suggesting you throw anything out, but you could start by putting his food bowl under the sink, or putting his glucose meter away. Remember, when you put Oscars items away, or wash the shirt, your memories of Oscar will not fade. Take some time for yourself tonight. Soak in a warm bath, and remember Oscar for the wonderful cat that he is.

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's normal to mourn as long as you need to.
You'll put away his stuff when your ready.

Today on the 8th ( I know it is the 9th now but I haven't slept yet...) it had been 2 months that Oscar died. I thought about it a lot but had no time to express this all since today was drama day. I miss him so much. I still have not put away his food bowl. I still haven't put his glucose meter away. I still get pangs of intense grief a lot. I still have not washed my stupid shirt... Is it normal to feel like this so long? I miss him. He is a good cat, a very good cat. I found a pretty autumn leaf for him and put it in his urn for him. I wish he had had one last autumn to play in the leaves. I miss him. On days like today where it feels like my life is goind down the tube, I really miss being able to hold him and listen to him purr. His presnce was such comfort to me. Anyway, sorry for another whiny post. I just didn't want today to go by without me taking time to remember him. So I want to put this out there in the universe. I love Oscar and I miss him. And wherever he is, he is a very good cat.

15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva,
Sorry you are feeling that way. But I agree with Joe. Oscar is with you always in another world.

Oh, and in retrospect of reading your post (most of the time it takes me 2 reads to really get the full jist of the situation): 
Is it guilt your feeling, or that you can't do anything more for Oscar?  You gave him a great life, but in the end, what can you do for him that will make his situation better?  Maybe accepting there is nothing more to do, but let go.  And it's hard to let go of someone that always stood by you...remember, there are other worlds for birds to sing in.  Maybe instead of letting go, let him go be happy?

Well, I'm not sure if what I said makes sense...but whatever the reason may be, remember you have us here for ya!
Cheers.
I second Breanne's post, this is all on your time, so there's no rush.  You'll do it when your ready.

Reading this thread: