Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

Etiquette and Asserting Oneself - "Finger- Lickin´" Bad

11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today, after my back was better, I noticed my sneaky neighbour did what he usually does around winter, by dumping his snow in the back lane.  It annoys me, even though I don't need the space, since he's crossing a boundry.

Respect has to do with respecting boundries, and I feel violated. 

The problem is that I've never caught the guy, because the shovelling is always done when I can't get outside.  What's really low is the family knows I had an operation, and am much older, and this makes it so appalling.

There are too many things I need to attend to, and as one member stated, in the future, this will seem meaningless.

It could be his neighour helping him out, too.  I'll just have to summon the courage to ask.
Davit,
Leading is really helpful, and your mentoring has helped for another year, hopefully many to come!

As I entered the blood lab this morning, we all were asked to take numbers. One woman left her number behind after a brief conversation.  As we settled down in the waiting room, I stated, in a conversational tone to a gentleman ahead of me, that #6 had left, and he'd be able to go sooner.  Another woman became argumentative, and stated that wasn't right, and tried to explain what she percieved as the right order. 

I became frustrated, because she wasn't listening(she had fasted, and was understandably irritable, since she lived far away and wouldn't be able to eat for a while, probably returning to work too).

So I stated to her, "why do we need a secretary, when you could run the entire laboratory?".  She didn't speak to me after that, and I think she realized she had crossed a line or boundry and that I was confronting that impoliteness.

Although I was able to assert myself, I also became annoyed when my parent stated a nearby person was wearing a fragrance.  What I found interesting is that my parent didn't complain, but tactfully moved over, pretending to wish to  place her coat on a chair near me. 

I think I've learned a lot by others leading, as in this example.
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think this is important because it can cause stress. Mostly because it gets into memory and repeats itself. It is called second hand anxiety. When someone has a bad day or bad attitude they dump on the receiving person to get rid of it. Mostly it is done unconscious so they repeat it till it becomes normal for them.
The thing is to not cross over into their attitude. (a little like kitchen sinking) Patience and a little humour will keep it from getting into your memory and recycling all day. In other words don't let jerks turn you into one.
Most people parrot, it is hard not too and stay social. So lead, don't follow if you don't like where it is going.

Davit.
Today the doc's secretary had a rude tone of voice.  I asked to speak to the doctor, and the receptionist aske for my name.  I replied with my first name.  When asking for the second name or surname, most polite buisness people ask for a surname or last name, but this person said "Jack What", after I gave my first name as "Jack".

I'm thinking about cancelling the message, but the is caring doc tends to call anyway.

Maybe I should mention that there are human relations skills courses for this type of behaviour, now  It gives me a reason to call back.

I wonder if anyone has come close to snapping at someone?

Today some one was mind reading me, and I can’t stand this. 

I asked when the lab is busy, and what their work hours were? The answer was they’re busy Saturday, but not during the week.

So I asked(it was Thursday), what about Thursday’s being busy at 830 am? And the reply was “it’s 11:30 am”.

I ignored the remark since I couldn’t connect my question to the remark .

Later however, I wondered how irrational the comment was, and how scary it is that these people are taking blood samples from people, but can’t answer a simple question. Could someone think that I looked so out of it, that I didn’t know what time of day it was, and worse be off by two hours?

I suppose it’s that time of year, when rushing leads to jumping to conclusions. I guess they might have thought I wanted to have a blood test at that moment.
I wish I was present enough to realize this, and put the person at ease...but I wasn't at ease
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I was in my early twenties, I had a nosy roommate.  I ended up having a locksmith come and put a door knob on there that needed a key to open it.  That wasn't the only trouble I had with her, but at least it put a stop to her rummaging through my important papers and personal belongings.  I would never do that to someone else, so I don't know why some people can't be respectful.  You would think it is common sense.

Shari

Today a visiting family member entered my room, in my parents home, to leave me a letter. I feel violated and irritated that he might have glanced at my finances, which were where he left the note, because he’s nosy, as is his wife.

I feel better after a workout at the gym, but disappointed that he shows so little respect. The note wasn’t urgent.

What I'll do, I think, is send an email requesting privacy.  I forgot to close my door for once, though.
With harsher weather, our neighbour has decided to place her garbage bins where they are most convenient, and blocking the entrance & exit to our backyard in the front of the house where there is a 3 foot common walkway.

I just feel exasperated, since I cannot get any co-operation from her.  She always thinks only of herself, and doesnt think of consequences of how anything affects others.

Or the cutest little kitten
Hi Sunny,
Water wouldnt slide off Sharis' chicks' back though  Man the blow driers!!!
Personal Image

Reading this thread: