Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

Etiquette and Asserting Oneself - "Finger- Lickin´" Bad

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I didn't talk to her sisters.  I have minimal contact with her, so dealing with her is a nuisance, and not something I feel I should deal with.  Our relationship has changed, and she has two sisters who are nurses, and one other sister nearby who is college-educated.
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What does one do if a friend has taken an emotional downturn, and talks incessantly?  It's frustrating, and I find it hard to believe the difference in the personality.  Since I can be similar, it's hard to see my weakness in another, and I'm not in denial about myself having challenges.

Fear fuels frenzied speech, but it's no fun on a Saturday afternoon outing.  I considered myself charitable.  Knowing her sister, since they both live a distance away, I thought it might help to speak to her. I wouldn't complain, but offer my concern, since I see a vulnerability, mixing naivete and loss of restraint, although the only harm would be verbal, as in sarcasm.   Fortunately, I was blunt, but I don't think I was sarcastic.

11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today I went to a health store for an assistance device return.  They agreed to return it.

I didn't like that I didn't get to discuss this privately.  I also wished to order another product, and was willing to give my credit card, but was told I should try it on. I left the store furious, since the salesperson wouldn't listen to me.  I told the person 4 times that I was willing to pay, and suffer the consequences if the product wasn't right, and think there's problem with the salesperson.

Just before I left, the salesperson was shouted at by another person who had been left waiting, because the salesperson didn't attend to them promptly, so I know there's something going on.

I get the feeling this person isn't paying attention, but am aware enough that there could be something else going on.
Two selfish men, totally unaware of their surroundings, hopped onto an elevator ignoring my parent who's needs are clearly evident by her cane and age, at a medical clinic.

Maybe their diagnosis was "stupid", as an afterthought
11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

It may have something to do with processing. My frozen tomatoes are not as acid and don't taste like metal. It may be solarnin, (probably spelt wrong) the poison in the leaves if the flower end is not totally removed. 

Lamb needs to be cooked at 250 or less for a long time to be real good. Unlike mutton the fat doesn't all have to be removed. New Zealand Lamb is not lamb in the true sense. It is too old. To make Lamb burger simmer all the odd bits and remove most of the fat before grinding. The only thing that will give Lamb a bad taste is if the person skinning it gets lanolin from the hide on the meat. The farmer I get mine from is real careful. 

Chickens are treated for a number of diseases so it doesn't matter if you get them local or out of the store. Feed is usually treated too for the first few bags. The only way to get real good chicken is to raise your own in a clean uncrowded building and treat them only for maraks disease. This is just a vaccine. You will lose a couple but the meat will be chemical free. It won't be any more tender but it does taste better. Cooked chicken like pork and lamb can have no pink.
There are advantages to living in the country that compensate for the inconvenience and expense. We have freight added onto everything. If I got all my food out of the store it would be higher than yours. 
I have more than one deep freeze but that costs me power. But the taste of home grown food is worth it. 

So here I sit looking out the window at a fairly silent world, only the birds singing and the sun is shining through smog free air. It is going to be a nice day. I've had breakfast and coffee, it is time to water seedlings and then figure out what to do for the rest of the day. Need to shop for those things I don't grow. I hate shopping on a nice day.

So I have to ask this. How did someone living in paradise get an anxiety disorder? I think it can happen anywhere and is probably an attitude thing. 

I'm going to plant beets this year. I love pickled beets. 

Davit.
11 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

Since I'm Italian and therefore I'm familiar with spaghetti sauce ;)  the trick to reducing acidity is to add sugar to it.  Not a ton, just enough to cut the bitterness; one to 3 tsp or tbsp depending on quantity.  Kind of add a little until desired affect.  I suppose Stevia in the Raw, which is a natural sweetener from plants, could be used as a substitute, because it has zero calories compared to cane sugar.  I haven't tried Stevia and I find it has a slight bitter after taste, but it might work to lesson acidity.  It could be a scientific cooking experiment :)

Shari
Hi Davit,
Lamb is something I'd like to learn to cook.  Beets are at the end of the season, and so cheap, that I'd like to cook batches and freeze them, but I might be rushing.  They're so sweet!  I have to be careful when launching a new recipe, that mom gets turned off something easily.  You know that emotional reaction when someone can't stomach something after a bad experience...better safe than sorry, when there's so much to gain!

I feel uncomfortable with chicken, with the possibility of contamination...

Tomato is acidic, but only the sauce, it seems.  The actual veggie is okay, if I get it raw.

11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

Tomato juice or tomato sauce is what we bush bunnies use on our cabbage rolls. I'm afraid we don't follow the recipe either. I cut out the rib so they roll better and cook the cabbage. then I cook the filling and stuff them. They still go in the oven though. I like short grain rice, bacon, lamb burger and onions. but other stuff will do. Sunny rolls better than I do. I use the same filler for peppers or tomatoes and even grape leaves. (or pigeons :-)  )

Davit
What do you do when you get unsolicited medical advice?  I find that it becomes  most annoying when it's inaccurate and for my parent, who I do the caregiving for.  She and I both have a good team of docs, and I find that I don't like armchair quarterbacks.

Davit,
I wish most people were as cultured as you.  My friend said I was thoughtful for arranging to have stuff sent to her.

I'm afraid of my time competing with my parent's care, I think.  It's actually exciting to think of all the things she could do, since I know the places so well, and am resourceful.  I think I'll send her something periodically, which relates to her conference, as I think of things, since I regularly read the events listings for ways to find stuff to do.

Today I also found an art  magazine home page which can send her some overviews so she can make decisions more easily with her friends and roommate(s).

I almost feel like I'm trying to control something outside of me, since so many things in my life seem hopelessly out of control. 

Maybe I'm losing my focus, which should be for my parent, but I guess everyone needs a break.

My cabbage rolls were a bit dry, but I suppose a little water will help.

Reading this thread: