Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

Etiquette and Asserting Oneself - "Finger- Lickin´" Bad

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today someone, who was probably a distracted driver, sat at a green light without moving for 3 seconds and I honked. The I got an obscene gesture, and proceeded to pass them to my destination.

As I calmly waited for a pedestrian to pass, the distracted driver honked at me.

When I mentioned it to my doc, he stated it was hostile.

I wonder how long someone should wait, before signalling to the person in front, that they are not paying attention.

I could that there was no obstruction/mother ducks walking their babies/elderly person in front/etc....
Today I called the manager of a clinic, to ask about why I couldn't get some medical results copied to another health professional.

The receptionist interrupted me 3 times, and finally, when I asked her to let me finish the situation, instead of interrupted, she decided to transfer me to her manager's voicemail, since "she" was fed up.

Similarly, once I watched a work colleague interrupt a meeting 13 times(I counted) as we went around the room for opinions.

What I find strange is that people with problems use their status(in the first case, a secretary who has an electronic system which she can manipulate me, or in the second case just a blowhard who bullies people and is allowed to continue, because no-one will stand up to him, or has too many bullies like him who cultivate the culture) to point to others as the cause of their problems.

I'd tried to relax, earlier in the day, by walking on a treadmill, but my radio got stuck in the coffee holder in in "on" position.  I was relaxed enough to disconnect the radio's battery by removing it. 

Another day in the life of a construction-frazzled neighbour.
Thanks Gailerina,
I'm probably not thrilled about it, since there's been a withholding of caregiving for my parent, but then I could look at the world in a more collaborative way.

I'm drained, and suffering from the "grumpaloos".
10 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think it depends if the senior loves kids or not. My mom does not get out a lot because she it makes her weak and all, but she loves with she sees little kids.
If a depressed senior, who is a shut-in is having a birthday, would bringing a young child take away from the birthday, or would it add to the dinner?   I think my parent might want more attention, than she's getting, since she doesn't get out, and the child might become the centre of attention.

The other reasoning is that placing attention on the child, would take away from the self-absorbtion that can be part of depression.

Any comments?
I went into an eatery which gives a dozen free bagels to you on your birthday.  I mentioned that my parent had her birthday the day before, and the cashier stated "well that was yesterday", and looked away!

Maybe she failed her law school admission test and is waiting for the next eligible test date so she can fulfill her dream of being petty, cruel and unscrupulous, I thought today?

But then she needs business acumen too, since lawyers have to be more than just mean spirited in the competitive business world and austere economy.
During my Tai Chi class, I wanted to show the instructor my Chinese slipper-substitutes - snorkeling shoes, and placed them on a window ledge.

Apparently, that's not culturally accepted.
Today I dropped into my doc's medical office, to ask about the status of medical test.  It has been longer than anticipated for a reply, so I wished ask about it.

The secretary's reaction was one of frustration and rudeness.  she reminded me of actor Vince Vaughan, in the movie "Wedding Crashers", where he called a bridesmaid "Sybil", after a scary character in some horror film

If it isn't bad enough having my teeth scraped, and getting needles to numb the pain, the returning dental hygienist is far too nosy.  I didn't have to put up with this while she was away.

I knew something was different since my appointment suddenly was almost moved, and I mistakenly revealed that I had a doc's appointment in the area.  Maybe I should just change, because I'm been driving out of town for years, and it hasn't changed
Today I asked our neighbour to move her big-a$$ed umbrella to her side of the property line.  She replaced the old one, which was smaller, but still over the property line.  When I asked her how she'd feel about our having an umbrella over her side of the property line, she didn't reply, since there is no defense for  property line encroachment, especially on small lots in cities.

She doesn't seem co-operative usually, so her reaction didn't upset me, and I'm happy I spoke up(so far).

Reading this thread: