Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

very small steps?

15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey 

This process can be really frustrating but it is worth it. But be kind and patient with yourself. This is al about baby steps. 

First thing I would do is figure out my anxious thoughts and repeatedly challenge them. Then I would make an extensive list of different steps I could take for this exposure, then rate them from one to ten. If you have steps missing you can come here and we can try to help you but at least we would have something to work from. Then as you do your exposure work, take time to challenge the thoughts that pop up! Whether or not you succeed on the first try, you will be able to challenge you r thoughts in real time and figure out what scares you most! 

I remember being housebound. It was so bad. But I got out, and if I got through it anyone can!

To give you an example of what I mean, this is the kinda steps I took. 

1. Open the door and look out for 10 minutes.

2. Same but 20 minutes.

3. Same but 30 minutes.

4. Stand in door frame 10 minutes.

5. Then 20.

6. Then 30.

7. Exit the house with a safe person for 10, then 20, then 30.

8. Exit the house with a safe person waiting for me 5 minutes away, then 10, then 15...

9. Exit the house to go meet a safe person for a coffee.

10. Exit the house on my own for x amount of time, then more and more...

And first thing you knew I was out of the house.

But this is just an example of how I did it. That went with my fears. Depending on your fears, you do it your own way, make up your own steps. Only you can figure out what scares you and what steps are needed for you but we are all here to support you and help you figure this out! So hang in there. You can do this!

Mostly, step #1 is to be kind and patient with yourself! 

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Beginning to expose and challenge yourself can be a very difficult experience so don't be hard on yourself at first. It will take time for you to become comfortable with your surroundings and this will all contribute to the learning experience.

Have you spoken to your employer about what you are experiencing? Often Human Resources will have information available for you that can help you manage.

Do not forget to concentrate on your accomplishments. These deserve to be recognized! By taking small steps and rewarding yourself, you will be able to achieve your goal.

Continue to post and let us know how you are doing, we are here for you!

Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I understand what you are going through.  I have been homebound for 7 months and I am just starting to seek help.  I hope you will  not be too hard on your self.   I think it is great you can go out with someone else.  My friends and family have been trying to drag me out of the house but I am afraid I will panic in front of them.  Everyone situation is different but we all have one common goal and that is to defeat this anxiety trick.   Baby steps may seem like a waste of time to you now but trust me they are not.  We both will have to give it time. 
15 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Ya

I guess the one piece of advice I could give you as I battled with Panic Disorder last year is to make a list detailing the hierarchies of your fears.  Rate them from 1 - 10, 1 being the least and 10 your worst fear.  Then start by trying to overcome the ones rated lowest on your list first, this will give you a sense of accomplishment and encouragement to move along.

When a situation becomes too highly charged shall we say, above a level 4 on the panic scale.  Retreat and try it again at another time.  With time and persistence you will conquer your fears.  Once you confront a fear time and time again it will dissapate and lose it's hold on you. Do not try to tackle your worst fear first you need to gradually work your way up to challenging it.

Believe it or not it will get better, you will get over this. I did and you can too.

I hope you don't mind me making one more suggestion could you contact a rape/crisis line where you live.  Maybe they could put you in touch with someone who could help you through this trying period.

I
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Exposure therapy has definitely been helpful for some of the members here.  

We at The Panic Center encourage you to, if possible, to get some professional help in planning your exposure work. The other thing you should do is try to reduce any "safety behaviour" (i.e. compulsions) that is associated with the thought. Most people will have an obsessive thought, which then causes anxiety.  They then reduce the anxiety by performing some compulsive behaviour (washing, checking, arranging, praying or mentally "undoing"). The compulsion works until the next time they have the obsessive thought.  Then they have to engage in the compulsive behaviour all over again. 

Attempts to hold back the disturbing thought only make it seem more "important."

For example:

Try to not think of a "white bear." The more you try not to think about it the more you can't stop thinking about it.  The similarly here is trying not to think about disturbing thoughts only makes them seem more "important."

In general, one component of treatment involves getting people to gradually reduce their fears and "exposing" themselves to the discomfort (anxiety) created by not acknowledging the fear.

The second main component for treatment involves getting people to do exposure work in which they "expose" themselves to their disturbing thoughts.

A third component of treatment involves getting people to use thought records to challenge what the disturbing thoughts "mean," including, for example,  their sense of responsibility for bad things happening to other people.  

Members, any other advice on exposure therapy? What has your experience been? Did you find it helpful?

Sarah, Health Educator

Reading this thread: