Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,585 Members

Please welcome our newest members: EGUEVARRA, MARBIZO, AKARLENE, VRENS PATRICK, GJEANNE MICHAELA

Food fear...

15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Karla! 

Congratulations on all your successes! Woohoo!
15 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

i am now able to drink coke and eating curry, after about a year. still not touched alcohol but im not really bothered that havent been able to as in not affecting my day to day life

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kassamamo,

Have you had the opportunity to complete Session 5, Challenging Thoughts yet?

This may be a good start to overcoming your fear.

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi,,  I can eat wherever i want when i weak up from sleeping but  I have the fear of chocking or swallowing some part of the day. It very difficult to eat in this moment´s . I tried to avoid this negative thought but i didn´t get result. can you give me some advices
15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya Chiggles, way to go! Woohoo. Talk about some great successes! Congratulations!
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Chiggles,   You made some great progress with the combination meals and spaghetti............that is really fantastic! Hopefully you are feeling less anxious and fearful about trying other foods on your list..........the chocolate would definitely be my next victim!!   Do take your time and pace yourself as you expose yourself to the different foods and sensations. Hopefully eventually you can also start taking your multivitamins again because you may very well have some deficiencies from not eating certain foods. The multivitamin will address these deficiencies and help you to stay strong and healthy.   Way to go!     Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My food fear isn't so much to do with choking as it is getting nauseous.  The foods I avoid are 'heavier' foods, spicy foods, fizzy drinks (bloating!), citrus etc...  I also avoid anything too sweet or caffineated as I'm scared of them causing an anxious feeling...  That said though, this last week I've been trying to do some self-exposure work, and rather than avoiding completely, I've had little bits.. So far I've managed to eat a combination dish, that although blandish, still had red meat in it... and although I haven't eaten a full steak-meal or anything, I did have spaghetti bolognaise tonight, which is essentially a whole heap of stuff I wouldn't have eaten just over a week ago...

I had a mouthful of coffee (*gasp*) a couple of days ago, and am thinking I might try a decaf sometime this week (hoping the flavour association isn't too strong!)...  AND I have a chocolate in my fridge (something I haven't eaten for nearly a month! - miraculous considering it was one of my fave treats!!).

About the only good thing I can say about all my food avoidance behaviour is that because I'm so paranoid about what I put in my mouth and how I might react to it, I've lost that dress size I've been meaning to get around to shifting for a while!  =)  Always got to find the good side of a bad thing, huh? 

Next on my list of foods to combat (other than said chocolate and decaf) are curry (thinking maybe some laksa...), nuts (I'm also paranoid about allergies - even though I don't have any and have quite happily eaten nuts my whole life!), and Oranges...
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Karla,

Way to go! Good for you for trying fizzy water! Sounds like you're on the right track
Good luck! Let us know how it goes,

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Karla,
I am in a similar situation as you are.  However my fear is of eating certain foods and choking.  I was never like this before and it has been very difficult.  The program has helped me and some days I am doing very well.  I haven't had any attacks in a few days, but I am still avoiding certain foods.  Keep us posted with your progress.

15 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

hi

i think im going to try and start by drinking fizzy water (errrr) but it dosnt have caffeine so it cannot give of that panicky affect which caffeine does, this is my way of trying to gradually drink fizzy drinks again. 

Reading this thread: