Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,684 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Strongyogi*, TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD

Not Dangerous????

22 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A friend of mine recently went to driving school to master her parallel parking technique, even though she was ok in other driving aspects. It occurred to me when reading your reply that your panic may be nurtured from a simple little thing you haven't mastered in your driving, though I may be way off base with this idea. It could be as simple as keeping your eyes focused further on the road than what you are doing, for instance. It's just an idea though and may be worth investing in an hour's worth of remedial training?
22 years ago 0 173 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Sammia, I have a bad driving phobia, and have been able to accept this and desl with it, one mile at a time. I do the relaxation techniques, before, during and after the event. I also plan in advance by being self re-assueing. I do affirmations. "I can do this" I wil do this" I am able to do this". Fact: You can do this. Think up some positive coping statements and write them down. Start days in advance. Allow yourself the space to say "I cannot do this today". Do not, however, keep putting it off. You know you will have to face it, and drive across that bridge eventually, and why not now? There is no time like the present. Also, I rewarded myselfupon completion, with anything I wanted..like an ice cream cone, a burger, a new hairdo. It makes no difference what the reward is, as long as it pleases you. The other thing I wanted to mention is that you should know that nothing is going to happen to you, you just think it is. Imagine the feeling of accomplishment you will have, when you reach the other side of that d*^#@! bridge. I know the feeling well, altho I have not had much trouble driving recently. I conquered my fear. I am proud, as it was a toughie, and I still have times I am a little squeamish. The only thing now that identifies my phobia is that I cannot be in any vehicle, driver or passenger, without having the window wide open. I feel like I am being smothered if it is not open. Try opening the windows. As you progress, so does your self-confidence. Would it help you to have a passenger with you? Red
22 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anne-Marie- Thanks so much for responding to my question! My biggest fear when crossing the bridges is that I am going to drive right over the side of it (that I will lose control of the car) and not be able to do anything to prevent this from happening. I have to keep my eyes straight in front of me (not looking at the sides of the bridge). I will try the breathing exercises at the next bridge I come to. Thanks again, Sammie
22 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, a therapist can help you with this. One suggestion I'd make is to stop before the bridge, since it seems to be your trigger, and apply relaxation and deep breathing techniques. Have you tried this? If so, tell us about it? Where are your eyes focused when you cross? Where are your thoughts focused at that time? What is your big fear? Maybe we can help you break the crossing into various part for you to tackle. Welcome to the site!
22 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone, I have only been experiencing these for 6 months, so there is much that I don't understand BUT, I keep reading that the attacks are not dangerous... I ONLY have mine while I am driving my car across a bridge (no where to pull over to calm down). What can I do???

Reading this thread: