Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,668 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Introduce myself / Hyperventilation

20 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
your symtoms sound similiar to mine
22 years ago 0 173 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Brian, and welcome. It is nice to meet you. You have probably read all about my problems with panic disorder and how I get now drive again. I am always working on it. Had an attack last week, but it was small and didn'tlast long. It was a real good event that triggered it too. Strange disease isn't it?Post more, we'd love it. Red
22 years ago 0 198 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad to meet you! I know the path you are on now. I know it well. I have suffered from panic attacks and agoraphobia for years. I remember when they were absolutely out of control - I certainly know what it means to 'freak out' by yourself or in front of others, no fun at all -I have stopped people on the street, pulled over in my car, freaked out in malls, at work - asked even total strangers to 'help me' 'hold me' 'be with me until this passes'. My marriage broke up because of my panic attacks - I have an MVP in my heart and that contributes greatly to my attacks. However! The good news is this. If you keep working on yourself - try and stay with this site, for example, read anything and everything you can about panic attacks and agroaphobia - incorporate anyone that will help you through - having someone to call on the phone helps - anything will help. I can relate to everything you said in your post. My attacks began when I was around 12 or 13, submerged, then came out at me full blast when I was about 27 - it has evolved in an never ending ebb and flow - but, now I understand the problem more and am always working on it. There is a guy that posts on this site named MrBubble -he had some really good advice about congnitive therapy - try and find his post - read it. In fact, try and go over as many posts as you can - this site just started - it is a valuable tool - Just know if you work at it really hard and try and help yourself the best you can, incorporate others who have walked your path, and gotten better - you will survive! I am glad you found this site! You will find out about 'staying the present', 'positive self talk' & 'visualizations' and more! I could go on forever, but, just stick with this site for awhile, see how you like it. As a veteran of panic attacks, I know this is a great opportunity to learn about what others are going through and have gone through and have come out the other side - wounded, but still here! Maria
22 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brian Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have pretty bad panic disorder. I am a little more familiar than I would like to be with that kind of hyperventilation. What kind of therapist do you have? I found hard-core Cognitive Behavioral Treatment (CBT) with interoceptive exposure to be very helpful. It was quite hard to get used to the idea but basically the idea is that you and your therapist actually get you to experience hyperventilation in the office and, in a kind of paradoxical way, not fight to control it. It was extremely hard to do the first couple of times but "letting go" and "bringing it on" with my therapist around seemed to work wonders for me. Seems like part of gaining control of panic is giving up the struggle for control. I haven't figured it out yet but I would be interested in other peoples' experience of this kind of technique.
22 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Brian! Welcome you to our site! I hope you will feel very comfortable here. The others will be around to reply to you and share with you.
22 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've had Panic disorder for over 8 years and I am currently at the age of 20. Some how I have made it this far but every time I seem to get a handle on my certain fears a new one comes up and throws me off guard. I'm currently unemployed, and not attending school, and hardly making it out of my house at times which also means I am not able to make it to my therapist or psychiatrist and this is all due to my resent relapse. Most recently my main fear has been the event of a panic attack itself but my worst problem is that I hyperventilate. Without even noticing its very shallow and hard to tell I am doing it. I try to control my thoughts and actually control my breathing but this usually ends up in me worrying more and more about whether I am breathing right and even if I breath slow and calm I still feel freaked out. Hopefully I can get to know most of you here and possibly I could get some tips on how one of you perhaps overcame panic and a hyperventilation problem. Thanks for the future help and for listing to my very, very condensed story : ) Brian

Reading this thread: