Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Panic and Chronic Illness - Any Thoughts?

19 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jason, Hi . I'm a 31 year old female. I have has PD since I was 19 and hypoglycemia since i was about 24. I know exactly what you mean about how hard it can be to get out of bed some days. I have 2 kids and I work. Luckily I have a boss who is very understanding so on the days that I cant go to the office he understands and lets me work from home. The panic causes me stomach problems and loss of appetite, therefore its almost impossible to eat sometimes. However if I dont force myself to eat my blood sugar drops and that causes me to get sick, weak, shake, blurred vision and possibly even pass out. Sometimes I feel like if I could just sleep all the time I wouldn't realize how miserable i'm feeling. I cant though. I just make myself go on and make it through the days the best I can. Best of luck to you. Things will get better. Samantha
19 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jason, Yes, there are many of us out here who have both a chronic illness and PD. I was diagnosed with MS several years ago and diagnosed with PD 5 years ago. Since then I have been in and out of relapses several times of both illnesses and it is never easy. I understand that feeling on those days that it seems that getting out of bed is just too much to try to do.....but it's those days (at least for me) that it's most important that I do get out of bed. I've found for me that if I stay in bed that I end up feeling worse than if I try to muddle my way through the day. It also helps tremendously to talk with someone about the thoughts and feelings that you are having on those days........someone that has been where you are now. Loved ones are a great support to us but unless they suffer from panic attacks, they can't truly understand how terrifying just sitting up in bed can be! I don't have any profound wisdom to offer,just what has gotten me through those times. I bite little pieces of the day off at a time.......looking at the whole thing would be way too overwhelming. I tell myself that I'll just start by making myself a cup of herbal tea and I don't look past that point....after the tea, maybe I'll tell myself that I"ll turn the CD player on and listen to a favorite song.......little bites, one after the other, until the day is done. I wish you well and hope for better days for you. kathy
19 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jason, Thanks for sharing your story. There are many things that can be recommended. You might like to search the internet for more iformation for Ulcerative Colitis. This way you have all the facts. You can also begin our panic program to the left of your screen. This will give you a head start to a more calmer self. You can also try relaxation techniques to start yourself off. This puts you more at ease with your surroundings. Our online support group is also very helpful, as they have a wide range of knowledge and plenty of support to give. Keep us posted and please post any concerns and questions you may have, Josie
19 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi I have recently been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (kind of like IBS, but a little more serious in terms of complications and need for surgery). I am having a hard time accepting this and moving on with my life. It seems like Panic Disorder and a physical illness is a little more than I can take. I am having more "classic" panic attacks now and am finding that sometimes just getting out of bed is too much. Anyone else out there with PD and a chronic illness? How have you learned to cope? Thanks Jason

Reading this thread: