Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,626 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO

Exercise

12 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello shyRyan.  I agree.  Exercise is key.  I too started putting on weight thanks to alcohol.  I've dropped 25 pounds and am now at my goal weight.  I take a kettlebell class three days a week--or try to.  It's social and it really boosts my spirits. It also helps control my drinking because it's a tough class and I can't do it if I drink.  I take a long walk with my dog every day too, which I think is equally essential since it gets me out into the light and fresh air.  
12 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Even after a few days of exercise and staying sober, you start to feel great.  I can only imagine after a month how I'll feel.  It gets a positvie spiral going on, which is an amazing feeling.  I know many of us have been on that "negative spiral" for so long, we had forgotten what it's like to take pleasusre form anything other than alcohol.
12 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great idea to use the diary!

And yes results are a huge motivator. How good do you think you will feel if you are able to stay consistent with your routine for a month?

Ashley, Health Educator
The Diary on this site is a great way to stay motivated.  I like keeping track of what exercises I perform as well as my weight each day.  The hardest part for me is actually getting started and getting into a routine.  After that first week, you start to see results.  And results are the best motivater of all.
12 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi shyRyan.

Exercise is a great idea. Exercise has so many positive health benefits and if it decreases your drinking that is even better!

How are you keeping yourself motivated to stick with this?

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 171 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Ryan,

I have also found that exercise makes me feel better - but I still have trouble getting motivated to get moving!  How do you stay motivated?

Athena
I have become very overweight due to my drinking.  I was always so skinny growing up.  120lbs in high school, 130 in college, but after 6 years of drinking, I'm 210, same height.  I am disgusted with my body.

I've found that one of the ways to reduce my urges and live healthier is excerise.  After some cardio, my thirst for alcohol turns into thirst for water.  If anyone has comcast on demand, they have free fitness videos that you can work out to without leaving your house.  I like keeping track of my weight/carlorie intake/days sober in the My Diary feature of this sight.  It's a motivater and good visual.  Just thought I'd share this advice.  Good luck, guys.

Reading this thread: