Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Hello

6 years ago 0 11221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Eliza,

Thank you for posting. Good work on all you have tried to address the drinking. It looks like you already have put a lot of work into this. Are you hoping to abstain from alcohol or moderate your drinking more? What are the pros and cons of moderating, abstaining and not changing?
Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Eliza. Foxman has bee tirelessly encouraging people who come to this forum along with many others for several years. I myself came or was drawn here for much the same reasons as you. In fact everyone here has a story. AA has been around for a long time and has successfully helped many people to gradually rebuild their lives and get rid of alcohol once and for all. I went to several meetings, but it isn't for me. But that's me and no criticism of the program whatsoever. My help has and still does come from a daily relationship with God. I don't mean going to church regularly or following man-made doctrines and rules. I can just as easily talk to him when doing household chores to walking my dogs. There are no 'silver bullet' solutions to this crippling disease. In fact, my wife and I were talking about the effects alcohol now has on her sister such as financial costs and how it almost cost me my life when I attempted suicide about 20 months ago. God intervened and because of His love, grace and faithfulness here I am writing this post. Every person who steps out into this world is part of God's plan, even if everything points to the contrary. God bless you and your loved ones. I am confident you and I or Foxman or others will be in touch.
6 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Eliza, glad you are here and seeking help. Have you heard of fellowship called Alcoholics Anonymous? When I think if Alcoholics, I always thought of those people living under the bridge having lost all. But, looking into it, they were like many people who were functioning alcoholics but as the disease progressed they ended up there. Not trying to scare you. The in ability to stay stopped on our own resources makes one alcoholic. Don't get attached to the "label".  I am coming up on 11th year into recovery. It was all possible with that first step in the rooms of AA. Since you have a loving family to support, you can actually take your spouse or mother with you and attend one "Open" meeting. All are welcome at open discussion meetings. You don't even have to introduce yourself. We lack power. And the 12 steps helps us tap into this inner resource with which we can live life without any external hep.

Good luck.
6 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi I just turned 47, I am a mom of 2 kids, one with special needs. In the evenings, about 2 or 3 days per week, I over do it with wine. Usually about half a bottle It makes me tired, it makes me gain weight, and it makes me less alert and organized.
I have tried just quitting. I have gone to CAMH and talked to a nurse and a doctor and they gave me pills that are supposed to make me hate alcohol but it didn't work for me. I tried one on one counselling. Its super expensive and did help either
I have had a really stressful 10 years, with some life tragedies and I know this trauma has driven a lot of this behaviour. I don't want to make excuses - but I know that these tradegies, and the stress of caring for a special needs child does contribute to my behaviour
I do have support, a good husband, and my mom lives close by too. So I should have it all and be fine! But I am not
Any tips or helpful ideas on how to approach this? Thanks so much

Reading this thread: